Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disconnecting every 1 min

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: disconnecting every 1 min

I suspect that under certain conditions your router/line won't handle a 3dB noise margin as you are getting a phenomenally large number of corrected errors
delaneya
Grafter

any thoughts on getting this fixed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In theory the automatic systems in the exchange should do it automatically.
If they don't then I think the Digital Care Team can do a manual tweak or at least they used to be able to
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wouldn't worry about having a 3dB target noise margin, if the DLM isn't happy with line errors it will raise it to 6dB again within a day or two. The 21CN DLM tends to manage the line more aggressively than the 20CN one did. I think others have found leaving the router on 24x7 and letting the DLM get on with it is the best policy.
The absence of PPP session drops is encouraging - the improvement might simply be due to cleaning the contacts when the filters and cables were unplugged and plugged in again.
Upstream sync speeds slightly less than 448kbps are normal on ADSL2+ (even for LLU connections), presumably it's something to do with the technology.
Your upstream sync speed being (notionally) 448kbps whereas caulbox's is 1195kbps is not indicative of a fault. It depends how the service is configured, with capped 448kbps upstream as one option, uncapped the other. I understand fault rates on 21CN were significantly higher with uncapped upstream so bulk upgrades generally start with upstream capped. For stand-alone upgrades I think it is up to the agent, but capped is the default.
Plusnet will change ADSL2+ users to uncapped upstream if requested - this is free of charge. In your case I suggest requesting uncapping, but wait a few days to confirm disconnections really have gone away.
How long have you been on 21CN/ADSL2+?
David
delaneya
Grafter

since Feb few teething problems but been rock solid. until now
delaneya
Grafter

new router, new filter  and my results are

only problem I have now is stupid windows 7 wont allow me to use a Ethernet cable says its public network. wireless works though. and the cable works on the xbox.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have you had any disconnections since changing the router and filter?
Quote from: delaneya
only problem I have now is stupid windows 7 wont allow me to use a Ethernet cable says its public network. wireless works though. and the cable works on the xbox.

Is this the dual network problem associated with Bonjour?
David
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: spraxyt
Is this the dual network problem associated with Bonjour?

I'm lost again in understanding all this so this ISN'T a recommendation. But might SZ PortScan be a useful diagnostic tool in this context?
Just ran the software myself, and (for me) it does link to an option to "install Bonjour to find more devices". Given that (to quote from from spraxyt's link)  "<Bonjour> does not play well with windows services as a rule" I'd wait for a more qualified answer from others before choosing that option!
delaneya
Grafter

think the network card might be faulty. ubuntu say its got no mac address. no big issue. I don't use the laptop with a cable.
delaneya
Grafter

All working and all stable. Would it be worth getting interleaving turned off on my line.  Is this the same as getting my upload uncapped?  I will be setting a NAT box up on the network and the extra  upload would come in handy when uploading stuff remotely
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Having interleaved switched off is totally separate and if you are into on-line gaming don't as it increases your ping times
delaneya
Grafter

I do play online at times. Not as much as I used to. So how would I go about all this?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you want the upstream uncapping raise a ticket
Unless you get loads of uncorrected errors I wouldn't go for interleaved as you ping will about double
delaneya
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Those are horrible. If you ask for interleaving to be turned on you can always get it turned off again
I assume that you still have a 3dB noise margin - that should probably be raised to 6dB (the automatic systems should do that themselves)
Also your MTU is too low - I have mine set to 1500