cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

did i get vdsl installed correctly?

thepurseys
Grafter

did i get vdsl installed correctly?

me and the chap right nextdoor have been waiting for a while for fiber to come to our new build estate.
we both placed an order about a week appart for the same package from plusnet and nextdoors was instaled around 10 days before mine (same exchange and cabnet thats around 200m away)
i had my line upgraded to fttc fiber brordband with a openreach vdsl modem with a quoted speed of 40down and 12.5up(Mb/s) from plusnet. but for the last 2 weeks on my new line im only getting 25up and 8down on a good day even on a direct wired connecton to the VDSL openreach box?
so i asked the guy nextdoor what he had and he is getting 73.6down and 17.66up (Mb/s)
so i was thinking it must be somthing diffrent with my setup or install.
the contractor was at my house for all of 15-20mins and as i pointed out i had an external NTE on asking where my master socket was he opend the NTE and directly crimped the bt line to my house cable saying you dont need that anymore and asked where i wanted my router conected and fitted a new face plate (openreach mk2)  told me to remove all the old filters and left.
now this socket is one of 5 in my house and its not the first one the incoming line is comming to its the 4th and by the looks of it i have no NTE anywhere in my house at all is this correct? i would have expected it to go on the first.
plusnet have been contacted 4 days ago to do a line check but i have had nothing back yet.
can anyone shead any light on what up?
14 REPLIES 14
ericgripp
Grafter

Re: did i get vdsl installed correctly?

The very first socket (master socket) should have been replaced with a new filtered faceplate, and the BT Openreach modem should be plugged into that in the top half. In the bottom half is a filtered faceplate ofr a phone. Any extensions should come off the master socket, to ensure the extensions are properly filtered. Then in the extension sockets, you don't need any filters anymore, as long as they connected off the filtered master sockets, you can just plug phones in directly.
It does sound like your wiring is a mess. Whilst phone lines in neighbouring properties can take different paths to the exchange, it does sound like you have a reduced service.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It doesn't sound like he's done the installation properly. Until it's corrected you will need to use filters to connect any phones to any of the other sockets. That may improve things but it sounds like the installation need doing properly with an NTe5. Hopefully one of the CRT will see this and advise...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thepurseys
Grafter

it made no diffrence at all to line speed with no phones connected so i cant see how filters would make a diffrence?
thepurseys
Grafter

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

it made no diffrence at all to line speed with no phones connected so i cant see how filters would make a diffrence?
If you've had phones connected without filter then the DLM will have reduced the speed to cope with the interference from the unfiltered phones. Removing the phones ( or adding filters) will make no immediate difference but eventually the DLM will see that the interference has gone and gradually increase the speed ( well that's the theory anyway! ).
What's really needed is a proper NTE5 ( on the incoming line ) as shown in that link and then a VDSL faceplate so that all the other extensions are automatically filtered. Once BT have been back to do the job properly they should reset the DLM automatically and the speed should be back up quickly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thepurseys
Grafter

just did a re survay of whats wired to what and how
it was like this
BT line(pair)-.jelly crimps where xNTE was->socket1(with phone connected and no filter)->socket2->socket3->socket4 with openreach mk2 vdsl sandwitch filter and NTe5 faceplate (phone+skybox)->socket5  Angry
this ment sockets 1-3 where ahead of nte circuit in NTe5 faceplate and pre vdsl filter! and only phone outlets 4+5 where post NTe5!
until i can get a bt engineer i have moved the phone @ socket 1 to socket 5 as it was pre NTE and VDSL filter. now i do have sockes between my BT incoming line and vdsl modem but at least nothing is conected to it.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thepurseys,
Just as I was testing your line I was contacted by Will in faults and it seems he is now picking this up for you. Hopefully we should be able to have a phone engineer attend and resolve the wiring issues for you.
thepurseys
Grafter

i did wounder what that all that clicking sound was on my phone line
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

BT line(pair)-.jelly crimps where xNTE was->socket1(with phone connected and no filter)->socket2->socket3->socket4 with openreach mk2 vdsl sandwitch filter and NTe5 faceplate (phone+skybox)->socket5
Well that's definitely wrong. Some of the contractors who do the installs are not very good.
Looks like PN have it in hand though, hope it gets sorted for you soon.

thepurseys
Grafter

well BT engineer visited to day and the engineer confurmed that my install was simply not right and may explain my issues
my internal wiring was confurmed to be as i said in previous posts and also he poined out its not essential to have my master relocated just wired to be the first in the system as i had 4 twisted pair wiring in my house, he could simply crimp one of the pairs together from the incoming then use the other spare cables in my wireing to run my other phone sockets so socket 4 is now the first from the incoming.
he also checked my line and reset some stuff
i now instently have 40-46down and 9-10up, around what i was quoted , not quiet as good as nextdoor but engineer said that house may be on a diffrent cable bunch?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sounds like you got a decent engineer this time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Good to hear that all is working well for you now.
Interesting consequences for this fix though - given that BTOR is responsible for everything up to the test socket in the NTE5, are they now also responsible for all of the internal wiring as well??  Roll_eyes Huh Grin

xreyuk
Grafter

*please ignore/delete this post*
thepurseys
Grafter

BTOR did the installation so I would say yes
Been as originally my NTE was external and this is not that common that is not supported by the fttc system a new internal 1 was fitted.
I had planned on relocating everything to where my first socket would have been but the engineer said it was just as easily connected up this way as the wiring was ideal for the purpose
Old houses would not be the same
Saying that technically there still is separate lines just in the same sheeth of cable