cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

could this be trafic shaping or throttling?

deviousrich

could this be trafic shaping or throttling?

Hi,
like a few people around here i have been getting poor connection problems recently. it came to a head monday and i unplugged everything, reflashed the firmware on my router and reset everything.
before doing this i ran tests on hte bt speedcheker and got a 4MB line reported, but in speedtest.net was only ever reported at 0.15-0.44MB/s
on monday night (about 10:30pm) after reflashing i was overjoyed to find i racked up a speedtest.net report at 4.29MB/s (did 4 tests, all reported 3.07-4.35MB/s dl speed)
thinking everything was fixed i was happy this was user error and i had somehow knackered my router but was happy again.
yesterday i ran tests again (exactally the same test, and router hadnt been reset since the 'good' test on monday) and ran 11 tests between 6:25pm and 10:35pm and all of them (on speedtest.net) reported <0.2 MB/s
i dont understand why i am getting such a poor connection (lowest recorded at 0.09MB/s!) on a setup which is obviously capable of >4
also, its not just my DL speed, but also my ping latency. i have attached a report of all the tests i have run showing what is going on
anyone got any ideas?Huh
14 REPLIES 14
deviousrich

Re: could this be trafic shaping or throttling?

incase it helps. PN is showing my connection as
Current line speed:
so seems both BT and PN think it should be ~4M
given this is there any possibilities that i should investigate in relation to filters / master sockets, or if the speed is set as okay its not likely to be a line issue?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I've taken a quick look over your account to see if I can see a reason for this but can't see anything untoward. Your traffic management profile is as it should be, you haven't exceeded your usage allowance, your configured speed both at ours and BT Wholesale's side is fine, the connection seems stable enough and there's no suspicious upload activity.
One thing to consider is the fact that BT speedtester traffic is in the Titanium traffic management queues, whilst other speedtesters will be in the Gold queue. If The BT Speedtester is always OK but speedtest.net and other sites are frequently bad then you may be suffering from the peak time performance problems we're continuing to investigate (although I wouldn't expect speeds to be as low as they are in your case).
If the BT Speedtest is bad too though, then we could be looking at a genuine BT Wholesale line/congestion problem or perhaps something to do the routing on our network. I've made a minor change to your account which should reduce the potential for the latter of these problems to occur.
Reboot your modem/router, keep an eye on things and let us know how you find things over the coming days...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

deviousrich

will do on the reboot, thanks for the feedback.
is there any explanation why my IP adress is seemingly jumping in every test (even when only minutes apart)?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: deviousrich
is there any explanation why my IP adress is seemingly jumping in every test (even when only minutes apart)?

You've had a fair few disconnections over the last 48 hours or so, all will have been assigned a different IP:
Session Ended	Session Duration
N/A   15:48:10 (on going)
22:37 17/Nov/2009   0:26:41
22:10 17/Nov/2009   0:8:3
22:02 17/Nov/2009   0:12:37
21:49 17/Nov/2009   0:27:58
21:21 17/Nov/2009   2:48:25
18:33 17/Nov/2009   0:9:24
18:21 17/Nov/2009   19:51:28
22:29 16/Nov/2009   0:30:51

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

deviousrich

sorry for being dense, can you explain what is likely to cause those disconections? i rebooted the router once at about 10:30pm  but the logs you show (and in my report) show many many more resets than the one....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The disconnections are simply logged as 'user request' in our RADIUS records which doesn't tell us a great deal to be honest. A copper line test shows that there have been multiple 'initialisations' which suggests that your router might be dropping sync with the exchange. This also raises a few eyebrows:
[quote author="Copper Line Test"]Copper line test:

Test Outcome : Fail

Description : FAULT - probable exchange line card fault

Diagnosis Code: T038

MFL : EX
If you haven't done so already, I'd raise a fault here. When doing so you might want to make reference to this forum thread.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

deviousrich

hmm, still bad, and when i visit the fault site you referanced i only get an error page saying a fault has occured (After confirming my tele number step). any ideas?
incase it helps i have added my router stats below

DSL Parameters and Status
Vendor ID: 00B5GSPN 
Revision Number: Y1921a 
Serial Number: 123456789abcdx 
Local Tx Power: 9.95 dB
Remote Tx Power: 19.79 dB
Local Line Atten.: 21.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 13.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 16.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 26.0 dB
Self Test: Passed 
DSL Standard: G.dmt 
Trellis Coding: Enable 
Framing Structure: Framing-3 

Config Data Up Down
Intrlvd  Fast  Intrlvd  Fast 
AS0(kbps): - - 5504 0
AS1(kbps): - - 0 0
LS0(kbps): 448 0 - -
LS1(kbps): 0 0 - -
RValue: 16 0 16 0
SValue: 8 1
DValue: 4 32
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Your line stats are good although it might help if we switch interleaving on. Are you a gamer?
Quote from: deviousrich
hmm, still bad, and when i visit the fault site you referanced i only get an error page saying a fault has occured (After confirming my tele number step). any ideas?

Looks like that's to do with this which I wasn't aware of at the time Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

deviousrich

i am a gamer (or atleast would like to be if my connection allowed me to even connect to xbox live)
well spoted on the status, i'll raise the fault tommorow
given my line is always connecting at "Downstream Speed 5440 Kbps" im still strugling to work out how this could be line related but open to try anything
given my ping is currently at about 800ms i cant really see interleaving making it any worse!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can try switching interleaving on. It takes about 24 hours however it's easy enough to switch off again just as quickly?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

deviousrich

go for it. lets give that a try.
should i reset the router about this time tommorow? or is a reset not required?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Done!
Your router stats will tell you if interleaving's switched on. If it isn't this time tomorrow then try a reboot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

deviousrich

blimy that was quick. router already shows interleaving on
speed jumped from .012 to 0.7 so definatly had some effect.
lets see if it stableises any higher over a day
thanks for your help, will update tommorow
deviousrich

hmm, given it a few days. was looking really good, got up to 4.09 DL with a good ping at 57ms, but its died right off yesterday. Pings through the floor and DL back down to 0.8
attached updated test report.
Any ideas why this line seems so unstable?