cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convincing spam from CNN

pierre_pierre
Grafter

convincing spam from CNN

just started receiving convincing e-mails supposidly from CNN with news items, give a blind link to a German site, but very convincing
CNN .com Daily top 10
282 REPLIES 282
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: new convincing spam from CNN

Yeah, we've received loads of these here and there's a fair few hitting the customer-facing platform too. I believe Chris is in the process of posting a service announcement about it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

owlguard
Grafter

I got 1 this morning as well and deleted it straight away.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, I've posted about this here:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1217927640.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Got one last night and deleted several more this morning after intercepting them on Webmail.
First one looked convincing till I looked at the headers. Neither of us remembered subscribing to anything like that and thought it might be dodgy, which was why I looked!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Odd thing is that the one I received got a Postini score of 64.36 but my Kaspersky Spam Filter picked it up.
Using Outlook 2003 all the downloaded pictures were blocked anyway
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah - I noticed the same spam at work this morning.
I've been getting similar ones before, on the pretence that there is some shocking news story and to watch a video. This links are sometimes to an .exe, which I assume is a bad .exe and not actually a video Smiley
However I notice some are .html and .php links. I assume those pages are trying to exploit a vulnerability within Windows to infect a machine with the same malware as what the .exe has? I looked at the HTML source, and sure enough all the <a href> tags were pointing elsewhere.
I must admit though, the CNN page was a more convincing effort than the simple 'news headline' ones.
johnsbr

I have received several of these spam emails to all my plusnet email accounts. I can see no way that some of these accounts have ever been made public - so how might this of happened?
Has anyone else been sent this spam to all their Plusnet email accounts? 
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

received on at least 2. have added domain addresses to black list.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all very well but what did you Black List, Mine came from different people Lips_are_sealed
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My problem was that some of my correspondents are actually registered with CNN!  But I'm glad to say I spotted these emails and checked them out  before I opened them.  I even went to the (genuine) CNN site to make sure nobody I know had registered my email address there.  I'm relieved these are general spams, not just the result of my address being harvested all over again.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I'm getting loads of these to various accounts that do and don't exist (I have catch-all turned on) and wonder why none these is marked as Spam yet sometimes emails from other fora, informing that there is an update to a topic I am watching, are?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

godsell4
Rising Star

My corporate postini account, provided by my employer, is picking up and blocking all these 'CNN.com Daily Top 10" type messages, so this could be another bug in the exim scripts Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there is a report from PN, on another thread, that they have informed Postini, plus a status report  Here  and two acknowledgement  from PN on this thread
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: torside
I have received several of these spam emails to all my Plusnet email accounts. I can see no way that some of these accounts have ever been made public - so how might this of happened?
Has anyone else been sent this spam to all their Plusnet email accounts? 

Yes (most if not all), and to the catch all address too.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both