Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

consequnces of leaving my connection unsecured

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

consequnces of leaving my connection unsecured

Hello all,
A few hours ago, my network card went a abit faulty, so i tried turning off the encryption on my router, then, i fogot about it, an hour later, i came back with a new usb wireless reciver, and realised i left it on, and realised someone had hacked my connection  Cry i realised it was my fault, but, if someone looks at sites thats not me (i.e: looks at anything on the internet) will it affect my interent, the speed or reliability? I raised a ticket about this as well, waiting for a reply, but, supposing someone had been on explict material (no offence, or anything, just describing the worst of the worst), would that affect my connection speed or reliability anything with my internet connection? I really dont want anything to affect my plusnet (only a month old, and im inexperienced with a router and encryption ect). My plusnet is a really good service, but will it affect anything on my connection, and to what extent?? Thanks Aman
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: consequnces of leaving my connection unsecured

Don't worry.
Firstly the sites they went to won't impact you at all.
The only possible problem could be illegal P2P but to be honest the chances of that are extremely remote in only an hour - the fact that you have raise a ticket will provide the evidence to refute any claim.
The odds are it was someone in a car parking outside and piggybacking on your connection to download his emails.
I repeat - Don't Worry
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Thanks for that oldjim, really helped, i was just asking, as i am a person who worries alot  Shocked just making sure, il check what plusnet say on the reply of my ticket. One of my friends saw a speed reduction after they had got hacked, they checked (somehow) that people had looked at explicit material and i just got slightly worried, just that my plusnet is great and and i dont want anything to happen to it
Thanks for that
Aman
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

The ticket got answered,this is what they said

Dear Mr Halai,
Thank you for your query.
Further to your request please be advised that you have a monthly inclusive allowance of 10 GB and in case if third parties are going to keep using your wireless connection, it might lead to paying for more usage once it crosses the 10 GB limit during the peak time, where £2.00 per 2 GB would be added automatically if you don't have a price limit set on your account.
If there is a limit, then in that case your broadband connection would be restricted until the next billing date to get the new inclusive 10 GB usage allowance.
Hope this helps, meanwhile if you have any further queries please feel free to contact us on 08451400200 or reply to this ticket via portal at http://contactus.plus.net

Regards

Aman
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Amanha,
That's something that could happen, though it's not likely (going on the fact that you know how to check for other connections on the router) especially if you've put the wireless password back on there. If someone were connected it'd take them a fair while to download that much.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Thank You all, you really helped,

As long as my broadband isnt going to be affected, im ok. If someone has seen explicit material or anything else on my connection, THEY WONT BE DOING IT AGAIN....il have to remember Keep WPA2-PSK encryption firmly set to ON.
Thanks
Aman