cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'connection to server reset' and lag - possible router problem?

toolateforaname
Grafter

'connection to server reset' and lag - possible router problem?

I've had various problems over the last couple of weeks, with what seemed to be lag and drop outs.
Looking at the tbb quality graph all seems good (and I think that after I posted in Pedro's thread and raised a fault someone reset my line because I had a sudden improvement in latency).
However I'm still getting problems with accessing some web sites on a very random basis.  Pages will load ok one minute and not the next, either loading slowly or not at all and giving me a 'connection to server reset' message.
I'm on FTTC unlimited.  I've tried several different dns servers, I've tried different web browsers. I've tried PC and MAC, wired and wireless, I've restarted the router and vdsl modem - none of these made any difference.
This morning some pages on the guardian web site dont load and the thing which has prompted me to post, I'm trying to buy something on the maplin web site, but tsome pages on the maplin site are refusing to load (I can;t actually view my cart).
I've run pingplotter tests when I've been experiencing issues and that shows various levels of packet loss but a comment on here implied that this may just be routers not replying to pings.
Any suggestions?  I'm starting to think the router may be iffy (tg 582n).    Surely if it was a problem on the plusnet network or beyond then other people would be reporting problems?
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 'connection to server reset' and lag - possible router problem?

Hi there,
I've just run some diagnostics to look a this from a faults angle and can't see anything obvious.
I'm starting to think the router may be iffy (tg 582n).

With that in mind the best thing to do would be connect with another router or eliminate the TG582n by connecting your PC straight to the Openreach modem:
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Keep us posted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
toolateforaname
Grafter

thanks Adam.
Last night was terrible Is this congestion at the exchange? (Bishop Monkton)
I'm looking at getting a vdsl router modem - hence my other thread collecting suggestions.
I'll try the direct connection to the modem later and see how that behaves.
toolateforaname
Grafter

My issues have pretty much been sorted by replacing the router.
I've done away with the BT box and the plusnet router and installed a fritzbox 7390.  My problems with resets and pages not loading have gone away completely.
toolateforaname
Grafter

Well, mixed feelings about this.
Replacing the supplied kit with a fritzbox has sorted out my issues with websites not loading and applications crashing.  However, I'm not getting the speeds that I used to get.
Just had a conversation with support who basically say that everything was perfect until I replaced the supplied modem/router, and that its my fault for not using the supplied kit.  I've asked for a replacement router to be sent out - working on the basis that if it was the BT modem that was faulty then you should have been able to see faults.
The fact that I had pretty much full 80meg speed originally (and for quite some time - not just the first 10 days) is irrelevant, 50meg is what the system says I should get so thats it.  Support cant give me any info that I can take to AVM to investigate how sync could be improved and aren't interested in discussing why that drop from 80 -> 50.
I'm going to try using just the ECI modem through the fritzbox and see what happens.  Frankly the supplied modem is poor in terms of features, config and providing any info at all about the connection - I've only asked for a replacement so I can test it.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your speed could have reduced if your cabinet is being more utilised, although I can't confirm that at the minute.
Can you let us know how you get on with your new router and we can then go from there.