cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection speed dropped to 0.5MB

thebigyin
Grafter

connection speed dropped to 0.5MB

I have noticed in the last week that my connection speed has dropped to 0.5MB (used to be about the 6MB mark)which is totally useless. I have raised a ticket but after 48 hours I still have had no response from the tech team. How long does it take them to respond??  as it says in the last communication that it could take up to 24 hours....... well its been double that now and I am starting to get a bit annoyed at the lack of updates!! Can someone on here look into this and give the tech team a nudge?Huh
23 REPLIES 23
mdc
Grafter

Re: connection speed dropped to 0.5MB

Whilst it's possible a CSR may see this message and look into it, it's possible that others here may be able to help with diagnosing the fault; but for that, we'll need some more information.
When you say your speed is 0.5mbps, do you mean your sync rate or your throughput as measured by a speed checker?
If you could give us some idea of your current setup, and any logs/stats you've gathered, we can advise you further. There are pinned topics at the top of this forum with details of what we need in them.
thebigyin
Grafter

ok here we go....
the sync rate is taken from my router "downstream connection rate 572Kbps upstream 444Kbps" not from a speed test
line attenuation- down 40.5 up 21.6
Noise Margin - down 22.7 up 24.5

there is no master socket so cant do those tests but i plan to install one soon.
Ive changed micro filters and even used another router but still my speed has dropped to nearly an unusable speed.
Bt speed test returned results of download 0.44Mbps and upload of 0.32Mbps
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@mdc,
the abbreviation for the Plusnet team is CRT Wink
Hi thebigyin, that doesn't look so good. Can you hear any audible noise when using the phone? Had any problems with incoming or out going calls?
thebigyin
Grafter

nah everything seem fine with the line/phone, i just don't understand why my connection had drop so dramatically.... only noticed when I was trying to watch my sky on the laptop (football) as the wife was wanting to watch some girly stuff  Tongue
Spacie
Dabbler

Same here - a massive 1.27Mb/s Shocked
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Spacie's own threads are here...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125227.msg1087987.html#msg1087987 - March 2014 not progressed
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136578.msg1198260.html#msg1198260 - Feb 2015 in progress
And appear to be quite a different issue to thebigyin's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Spacie,
have you had any feedback from Faults see your thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136578.msg1199004.html#msg1199004 if you could post a reply over there, we'll see if we can help.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again thebigyin. You haven't accidentally got something plugged into the line (an extension socket perhaps) without a filter?
Do all your Microfilters look like this?
thebigyin
Grafter

ok before we go down that route can I just let you all know I am fully aware of networks and ADSL setups (Ive been in the business for over 15 years.... Cisco qualified) but what I cant check is equipment or setup of BB provider or BT network.....when I don't have access  Cool . So i can safely say all equipment install at my end is correct only thing i need to do is install a master socket for the Phone line and that should be next week, but that's not the cause of my slow BB speed. 
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Do the Cisco qualifications cover the wiring standard for phone circuits (especially internal wiring) used to carry ADSL services?
I rather thought all CISCO stuff was "in-side" the telephony termination points?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Being specific, is your bell-wire connected and is your internal wiring CW1308 or higher standard? And/or do you have a SSFP?
thebigyin
Grafter

lol i just said i was Cisco qualified but that doesn't mean I don't know how to wire a telephone line, and Cisco also covers wiring CAT 5-6 and RJ45 modules/patch panels and also covers wiring telephone over CAT 5-6 (well at least in my job atm) but as the say every day is a learning day Smiley  
the internal wiring is as far as I can see (until i rip it out) is 4 core not sure if its CW1308 and I don't have a SSFP....yet (its on order)
Anotherone
Champion

Scrounge one of an OR eng.
Well if your wiring is upto standard, there should be a Blue pair only (Blue+white trace & White+blue trace) connected to terminals 2 & 5 throughout.
Any bell-wires on 3 and mate on 4 (Orange pair should be removed).
thebigyin
Grafter

yup i just opened up the socket and coming into the house  (first point/socket) there is only 2 the b/w to 2 and w/b to 5....... but i did have to laugh as whoever ran the extension upstairs has connected the bell/ring wire Cheesy ....... must have been done along time ago