Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection keeps losing

Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

connection keeps losing

Hi , my connection keeps dropping, done diagnostics and something to do with bad gateway, last time this happened it was problem with exchange ' Melrosegate' tried to see if any problems there but didn't see any, do Plusnet know of anything wrong with my connection or exchange please?  Cry
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: connection keeps losing

Hi,
There's no known issues on your exchange from what I can tell.
How often is your connection dropping?  I can only see one drop in the last 2.5 days?
Fenster
Rising Star

Hi, thanks, it happens a lot and the speed is slow, when I test my router it says - ping isp default gateway: fail ,
ping preferred dns server: fail, Just tested it now and it passed all tests, but sometimes icon in tray says ' wireless connection low' and even can show icons red with not connection, hope its not my router.
James
Grafter

Ok - Basically it isn't the connection from your rotuer to the exchange as this has only dropped once.
It's likely to be the signal strength of your wireless connection.  Are you in a position where you can use a wired connection from your computer to your router instead?  I suspect that will completely solve all of your problems.
Fenster
Rising Star

I'd have to use a long wire, so I can't use a wireless router then? it used to work ok all this time and just suddenly does this, will I be able to connect this wireless router with a wire? prefer a wireless connection, damn.
James
Grafter

It could be that there's something in your area that is now causing interference with your wireless connection.
Are you able to try using a different wireless channel on your router?
Fenster
Rising Star

sorry I dont know what that is , I'm not technical I will have to look it up somewhere. I have just moved my belkin dongle thingy and my icon now says ' signal strength exellent and pages are loading fast like they should. Very odd, it used to say excellent in the old position, can't understand why it would start having issues when nothing has changed. Odd isnt it?
Thanks for help.  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

WiFi transmit on different channels so if there are other routers transmitting on the same channel as yours they can cause problems if the other signal is stronger than yours. So changing channels is an option to try. You need to go to the WiFi seeting where you entered the ssid name and passphrase and you should see an option to change channel.
Fenster
Rising Star

Thanks for that Itsme, I do remember now that it showed another router in my area tho it was on a different number than mine, one on 3 and one on 11, I assume these are the chanels.
regards, Fenster.
James
Grafter

Hi Fenster,
If you can, try using channel 1.  Hopefully this will improve the signal that your computer is getting from your router.
Fenster
Rising Star

Hi Jameseh , actually I'm on chanel 6 I find. Everything seems ok now so don't want to rock the boat but if it happens again will try channel 1, is there something specially good about channel 1 ?
James
Grafter

It's not used very commonly Smiley
Fenster
Rising Star

Ok, thanks very much, off on the information superhighway now.    Cheesy