cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection failed with error 651

djpinky
Grafter

Can anyone tell me why i get this error code when trying to connect ? 
The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: connection failed with error 651

you have a bad problem
Windows Error 651 are caused by misconfigured system files.
So, from my experience, If you got Windows Error 651 then there is a 96% chance that your computer has registry problems.
The Windows Error 651 are easy to repair. By downloading and running the registry repair tool WiseFixer, you can quickly and effectively fix this problem and prevent others from occuring. Simply click the links below for your free download.

http://www.wisefixer.com/lp/?kw=error-651&gclid=CJPs_uXE7qgCFYob4QodVhOVCw
djpinky
Grafter

Thankyou Pierre, I will let you know how i get on Smiley
djpinky
Grafter

says i have to register wisefix and it aint cheap anyone got a licence ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

so much for their free download,  there are other methods if you google error 651
djpinky
Grafter

yeah, it downloads, which doesn't cost, then it runs a scan, which doesn't cost, then when ya click to fix it asks fr you to register and pay 48 dollars or summat :ss
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: djpinky
Can anyone tell me why i get this error code when trying to connect ? 
The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

Connect to what, exactly?  Are you using a broadband modem?  These are very outdated now, you would be better off getting a router and Plusnet will give you a free one. 
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

That sort of thing ( sorry "scam") really  gets me angry. It seems to be a U.S.A, practice. If especially I see a dot.com address with free download, I avoid. Worse still some may be misnamed as Freeware downloads.
O our wonderful god-fearing, mother-           friends over the Pond! Shocked Roll_eyes
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
djpinky
Grafter

I am using a netgear dg834g router.. and have windows 7.. trying to connect to the internet !!!!!!!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you have a router then your internet connection is always on.  You don't have to try to connect to the internet, if the router is connected to the internet and you are connected to the router then you are connected.
The error you have encountered seems to be something to do with a dial-up modem, so perhaps your computer is not trying to connect in the right way.  Open up Internet Options, either from Control Panel or from the bottom of the Tools menu in Internet Explorer.  Click on the 'Connections' tab and make sure 'Never dial a connection' is selected.  Whilst you are about it, click the 'LAN settings' button and make sure the option to use a proxy server is NOT selected.   
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Okay, my best guess based on what I can glean from this and your other thread, is that you haven't got a proper connection via your router so your computer then tries to use a modem to connect to the internet because you haven't got 'Never dial a connection' set in your Internet Options.  Because the modem isn't connected you then get a time-out error, which is what error 651 seems to be. 
djpinky
Grafter

BIG THANKYOU TO JO JO Smiley ALL SORTED NOW YEYYY X
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're welcome. Just to let the others know, the router still had the VCI & VPI settings from the old provider, as well as having other modems configured in the connections tab in internet options.