cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection drop outs frequently

alanalpha
Dabbler

connection drop outs frequently

few days ago i got given a temp static ip (starting 80.) due to issues on the dynamic starting with 51. which was talked about on many forums due to being migrated to a new network (u would think new means better less bugs right?) but the static ip fixed wesites not loading properly / massive game lag

few months ago i did this test on my router page everything was green tick unless BT fluffed something up but now its permanently showing ipv6 as disabled

http://prntscr.com/bwpyoa

(i cut out the IP addresses)

my PPP link keeps going down several times a week (sometimes several a day/night) i used to have a perfect connection that stayed up (my record was 150ish days b4 a BT problem) so my question is whats going on?

http://prntscr.com/bwq2ig

did a screen grab of my event logs (doesnt show weeks coz it eather forgets or i have to restart it every so often which wipes it anyway) and u can see xDSL and PPP linestate going up and down i am always cable connected and the router is on my desk and wifi turned off (i dont trust wifi)

could it be that the box 75m away on soulbury road is open and missing a door having dogs pee on it etc? or does BT need these price bumps to train people or just make there shareholders happy at our expence and service (note thats a big dig at BT not plusnet)

price going up when service is going down isnt good when people are on fixed income....

sorry if my grammer isnt great im dislexic and dispraxic and its 3AM bored hungry and annoyed

14 REPLIES 14
themonk68
Hooked

Re: connection drop outs frequently

The first image you uploaded, My internet has a red X yet works and i get 9MB download. Is that a bug?

alanalpha
Dabbler

and just had 2 drops in last 20 mins

the last one JUST after resetting up a selling stall ingame which i have to be connected to do

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@alanalpha wrote:

could it be that the box 75m away on soulbury road is open and missing a door having dogs pee on it etc? or does BT need these price bumps to train people or just make there shareholders happy at our expence and service (note thats a big dig at BT not plusnet)

You can contact Openreach directly about damage to a cabinet, details given on this page https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellus.do

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alanalpha
Dabbler

i will give them a ring 2day if i stay awake enough  (left door is totaly missing)

as for my connection drops can plusnet check my stats and see whats causing it?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

and just had 2 drops in last 20 mins

We didn't see those drops at that time, here are the connection logs from our side:

Is this a wired/wireless connection?

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 16.7 31.0
SNR Margin: 6.6 7.9
Errored Seconds: 2 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 21 66
Speed: 936 12140

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 11360 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9088
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 8615 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 89
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 26

The mean time between errors is lower than ideal. Is there any noise on your phone line?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
alanalpha
Dabbler

connected via cable i dont trust wireless (wireless interface is disabled on the router you provided when i joined)

no noise

on my router logs im showing ALOT of "SNTP Synchronised to server"  diferent IPs and happening every 43mins 42 seconds past every hour

what is SNTP and why does it need to sync so often and every so often even it agrees.... "SNTP Synchronised again to server"

what my broadband connection tab looks like right now (attachment) can you check with your side shows last disconnect at 2:35am

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

SNTP is your router trying to connect to a timeserver to update the time.

We can see the drop at 2.35am, however one drop a day wouldn't really be classed as a fault.

How's the connection performing in general?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
alanalpha
Dabbler

in general its ok but

getting disconnected practically every day when i held a record for over 150 days connected a few months ago i would class as a fault 

already had to get a temp static IP coz of the new network bugs stopping my access to facebook and internet banking so there is an issue somewhere

you you said you cant see some of these dropouts and ppp link fails for 2 of the times stated (could be more)  could it be that the status data isnt reading the disconnects or is my router acting up? if it is and i need a replacement will i have to foot the bill coz its the router plusnet supplied when i joined and idk how long it has warranty (im on fixed income and wouldnt be able to afford it tbh)

alanalpha
Dabbler

ok they are still happening and this time i cought a message on my router for last error message in "broadband connection internet services" as this:

Disconnected because idle timeout reached

i sure as hell wasnt idle i was PLAYing on online game with 2 connections to it + 2 teamspeak 3 servers connected to at the time

now i recently signed another contract for 12 months (cheaper per month) but this connection dropping out all the time is NOT what i want to pay for all the damn time

not a SINGLE day goes by without one of these dropouts so please FIX it

edit btw im getting between 1 and 4 drops and iirc you couldnt see half of them yet they ARE happening

alanalpha
Dabbler

3rd 2day just now same as b4 idle timeout when i have 3 game clients running with 2 teamspeaks.....

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I've tested your line and there's nothing to suggest a major fault, however there are a few dropouts:

image14727180598416

If you raise this at faults.plus.net, our faults team will investigate for you.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
alanalpha
Dabbler

going through the questions now and when i get to router part i dont have another router and to be blunt i cant afford a engineer visit

so i have put answer to that question as tested with another router (but i havent coz i cant bloody afford a visit or new router atm)

so please tell me how much a new router will cost me (bearing in mind i just signed a new contract and wasnt offered one) and how much an engineer visit would cost me

alanalpha
Dabbler

ok im uploading a screenshot of my latest diconnect u see part of the one b4 that

to show how much its getting worse i have a log from teamspeak not perfect but you get the idea the server i was connected to is cloud based 0 downtime im also connected to another teamspeak server hosted by hyperfilter (game and website hoster anti ddos) again 0 downtime in the last week

log started yesterday the 31st

<14:10:54> Connection to server lost
<14:41:19> Connection to server lost
<20:27:33> Connection to server lost
<22:12:14> Connection to server lost
<22:47:59> Connection to server lost
<23:21:58> Connection to server lost
<02:49:21> Connection to server lost
<05:14:00> Connection to server lost
<09:23:19> Connection to server lost
<09:43:33> Connection to server lost
<14:44:40> Connection to server lost
<21:02:21> Connection to server lost

each of the above happens seconds after internet drops

each time im getting idle timeout errors on the router

why does an always on connection on a static ip address need a idle timeout limit??????? its 2016 not 1995

(static given by plusnet to fix major issue with new network where my issues all started)

alanalpha
Dabbler

uploading my router stats as this mornings failcade from BT (i blame them for shafting anyone not with them) my up rate has dropped more than 50%

mentioned this in my ticket  but ive had a 940kbit up rate for a VERY long time once had 1300 on another provider until they merged with sky (i said no the that)