cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting vista laptop to thomson 585 router

MrN
Grafter

connecting vista laptop to thomson 585 router

I have just re-formatted my vista laptop and it will now not connect to my thomson router, each time it tries the router is re-setting itself (4 times today already). My windows 7 laptop is connecting without an issues. Can anyone suggest how i can over come this problem as prior to re-formatting the vista laptop connected fine without any issues. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: connecting vista laptop to thomson 585 router

Have you re-installed the drivers for the wireless adapter in the laptop? Windows Vista (and Win 7) can operate wireless connections with their own native drivers, however this doesn't always work out as well as the manufacturers software.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Or, the re-format erased the network adapter properties changes that workaround this flaw in the router - disabling 11N and/or disabling power saving.
See http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/fixing-wireless-compatibility-problems-with-the-thomson-5...
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: ejs
that workaround this flaw in the router

The flaw is not always in the router!  Roll_eyes
If you have an older Atheros or Intel wireless chipset, It is an acknowledged driver problem - especially drivers used with Vista.
Certain versions of drivers are better than others.
These chipset drivers give problems with Netgear/Virgin/Sky/O2 routers as well. Just do a search, all the ISP forums are having the same issues.
Affects nearly all Dell laptops!
The recommended cure is to replace your laptop wireless card with a Broadcom - or other make of wireless card. Plug in/cheap/easy to do.
Having done this on 5 laptops so far, I can confirm this cures all the problems. Ebay cost less than £10 each!   Grin
To the OP, the latest driver for your wireless card should cure your problem as it was previously OK
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Stumpy21
The flaw is not always in the router!  Roll_eyes

Sorry but that is completely wrong - no matter what the router might receive, even something malformed or invalid or longer than what it was expecting etc., it shouldn't crash and reboot!
And pretty much every other company has better Linux driver support than Broadcom!