Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting nintendo via wireless router

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: connecting nintendo via wireless router

im going to check out that error you got
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
thefunniefarm
Grafter

Thank you
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Do you know what channel your router is using to connect with your wii?try changing to ch11 or 1
thefunniefarm
Grafter

Does that mean changing it for everything - I haven't asked put any info into the router - should I assign the wii something?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes try changing the ch in the router for the wii and see if that helps
I also found this article regaring that error..
Error Code: 51030
The only wireless network within range of your Wii console is not configured or is not compatible with the Wii.

If you are getting this error after completing a system update, this is usually because the console resets to using the first connection slot after an update. There are two things you can do:
If you know which connection file you were using before, you can select that connection file, then select "Use this connection" to change that to the default. You will need to do this each time they download an update.

If you don't know which connection file you are using, or if you would prefer not to update the active connection file each time, try to clear, and then re-create your connection setting in slot one before doing the remaining troubleshooting.

Check for interference that may be preventing a successful connection.

Check to see if the router you are using is a known to be incompatible. Click here to view our list. If your router is known to be incompatible, we recommend using a different router if possible.

Make sure that the SSID (network name) matches exactly to what you have entered in the Wii console's settings. To verify:
Login to your router's settings (click here and select your router, if available, for information).
Look for the section for SSID (typically in the "wireless settings" area).
After you find the SSID (network name), verify in the manual settings of the Wii console that the SSID appears exactly as listed in the consumer's router. This includes making sure capitalization, spaces, or special characters match exactly.

Look up your router, if available, in our list of wireless routers, and check for any special notes that may be necesary to get the connection to work properly.

The router may not be assigning an IP address to the Wii console, and a connection using the "Manual Settings" may be necessary.

Your router may require a firmware update to work properly with the Wii console. Firmware updates can usually be found on the router manufactruer's website; consult the manufacturer for more information
thefunniefarm
Grafter

I think I have done all of that.  The router is not on the incompatible list, and it has connected once, tonight, and then failed.  Foolishly I then deleted the connection settings.
I have tried turning the wii off and rebooting but to no avail.
I really am at a loss.
Is it worth going into the router and assigning the wii to a local network device?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I cant remeber if you can do that but anythings worth a try,its hard to explain tyhings via internet if i was there id have it up and running already lol
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Check this linky it may help you  http://www.nhotspot.net/wii-error-code-51030/
thefunniefarm
Grafter

I know what you mean - it is so frustrating!
I think I need to take a break for a bit.
thanks for all your help.
I will probably try again tomorrow.
But if you are in surrey pop round!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Sorry we could not get this sorted, if you have not already done so pop your error code in this linky and see what you can come up with
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/errorMessages.jsp
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Try changing your channel to either 1-11 in the wireless settings of your router and see if that helps your wii to connect,if all your setup is correct and you are sure it is just keep trying as it can be a bit stubborn at first.
petejackson
Grafter

How did you get on in the end?  Any joy?  I know the support page isn't brilliant (to put it mildly) and we'll be looking to improve it (along with the PS3 connection guide).  Could do with some specific pointers about whereabouts you were struggling for guidance.
thefunniefarm
Grafter

To be honest it has been a nightmare!
Lots of toing and froing between Plusnet, Nintendo and Thomson.  Nobody wants to own the issues.
Currently I have finally got my wii to talk to the router but this seems to be completely ad hoc.  The wii now shows up if I go to the Thomson Gateway but the wii cannot always find an access point and therefore it is frankly useless.
I am now at the point where I don't know where the problem lies.  There is obviously no problem with the wii as it can find the access point when it is available and I am left with the feeling that it must be the router.  My computer connects without an issue but when the wii does connect I can't do anything with it because it needs to do a download - presumably an update and then the access point is lost.
Whether doing a firmware update would resolve this I do not know (nor do I know what that means!).
Surfice to say the router is in danger of being lobbed out and being replaced by a shop bought one.  Why it is that both Nintendo and Thomson seem to think I have another computer or router up my sleeve I do not know and it is very frustrating.
The DS is now connecting without an issue - yet!
Any pointers gratefully received, particularly regarding the issue of firmware.  I downloaded this from the Thomson website but could not do it because "There are no system software files found for your device".
Sorry to ramble but it really is very frustrating.  Any and all efforts gratefully received.
thefunniefarm
Grafter

By the way I was not doing anything wrong in the set up just that the wii cannot consistently find an access point, even when the access point has been established it seems that this is not sustainable!  Angry
petejackson
Grafter

Forgiv eme if you've already answered this.. but how close physically is the Wii to your router?  Are there walls/rooms in between?