Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

concerned about 21CN roll out and effect on reliability of my connection

techguy
Grafter

concerned about 21CN roll out and effect on reliability of my connection

Hi
Wonder if I could pick the brains of the Plusnet comms staff?
Although its a little while off your exchange checker usertool indicates my exchange has a go live date of 31st March 2009

Now I'm joining you tomorrow on the DSL Max Up to 8MB circuit which is what I have used with my current ISP.
Now I did try to switch to O2/Be but found the connection was very unstable which is the reason I left even though it showed as only up to 8MB
I believe that I'm currently on an ADSL 2 circuit but from what I have managed to wade through on the BT technical docs that are in the public domain the minimum on 21CN is 2+, is this correct?
If so I am concerned that the connection will become very unstable indeed, can any of the comms team check and advise me please?
I know that I have high attenuation etc but as I say there is little I can do because of the local infrastructure.
Thanks
techguy
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: concerned about 21CN roll out and effect on reliability of my connection

Hi Mitch,
We'll be placing your order as a standard ADSL service.  There shouldn't be anything to worry about from an ADSL2+ point of view.
Either way, let's wait for the migration to complete and we can always look into any problems should they arise.
godsell4
Rising Star

Hi techguy,
Also do recall your modem/router will allow you choose which ADSL 'mode' to use, the simplest mode is called GMT.D did you try this before migrating from O2/Be ?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Not applicable

When you were with Be/O2, if you were on an "up to 8Mb" connection, this means that you were on MaxDSL with them - if you had been on their LLU product, it would have been an "up to 24Mb" connection.
Assuming the above to be true, you'll be on the same wholesale product when you go live with PN - but you'll have the advantage of the elite fault-fixing comms team.
Don't worry about 21CN yet, PN are only trialling it with a few users at present, and if your exchange hasn't been upgraded yet, its a moot point anyhow.
On the plus side, when they get around to enabling your exchange, the work involved may improve your connection. My attenuation reduced when BT enabled my exchange, so I now sync at the heady heights of ~4Mb, whereas before they did it I could only get a stable ~2.5Mb.
Long way before you need to worry though!
techguy
Grafter

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly when they do it.
As regards the GMT D setting, cant find anything like that on here (did upgrade the firmware to the latest versiin for DG834N v1 which is  V1.02.08 but no didn't tinker with this before leaving.
However, thanks to their treatment of my claim for a refund under their guarantee when they actually lied to me I would not ever consider going back to them nor recommend anyone do business with then other than for a PAYG mobile phone.
Anyway, thanks for your replies, we shall cross that bridge if and when we come to it.
I'd just like to say, although my migration hasn't been as smooth as I'd have liked due to an uncaged gremlin running about the place  Smiley I'm very pleased with the level of support I've received both on the phone and on here so thanks for your replies to this and the replies to the  thread about that gremlin.
Cheers
Mitch
godsell4
Rising Star

The manuals for ta router do not show you can select the G.DMT mode. Sad
Good luck.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
scootie
Grafter

sorry for butting in with somthing off topic.
cap'n iron jack kidd i belive your wrong saying that if your on an upto 8mb pakage with o2 your on adsl and not adsl+2.
Due to my sister being on o2 upto 8mb. when i hook upto her computer to sort things that she's broken. i noticed in the router setup that it was runing on adsl +2. the reason why they dont use standard adsl to cap speeds to 8mb is that they offer higher uploads on there 8mb package than standard adsl can manage. she gets 1.2 ish mb upload.
But all that speed u get with o2  dosent get me jumping ship as i was tryin to fix her internet one day as she was complaing alot of webpages would not load. turned out o2 had dns problems. yet the very limted member centre did not give any info on problems with there network like we are so privliged to get with plusnet.
welcome to plusnet techguy
techguy
Grafter

Yes thats right ASBO
I got a quoted upstream speed (according to my router) of about 1.1 Meg rather than the standard 448 Kbps IPStream MAX product (I've spent a lot of time on various BT and other sites trying to educate myself on circuit standards.)
Anyway, if it does become unstable I'll try to book a call with BT via plusnet technical support to get the wiring from the telecom panel to the socket checked and redone (I know that this will be chargeable)
Might even replace my Netgear with a Cisco router

techguy
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Yes thats right ASBO
I got a quoted upstream speed (according to my router) of about 1.1 Meg rather than the standard 448 Kbps IPStream MAX product (I've spent a lot of time on various BT and other sites trying to educate myself on circuit standards.)
Anyway, if it does become unstable I'll try to book a call with BT via plusnet technical support to get the wiring from the telecom panel to the socket checked and redone (I know that this will be chargeable)
Might even replace my Netgear with a Cisco router designed to link branch office LANs to a main LAN via ADSL so that I know I know I've got the Mercedes Benz of routing hardware doing the job.

scootie
Grafter

have u got any software to monitor your snr and sync speeds. very useful things to have as sometimes u will find that wen u get  resync events happening you can use the graphs to find out if theres a pattern to anyything being switched on ie central heating or a phone charger near the router.
can and has bein knowin to save people alot of money not having bt come and check your line.
I use router stats lite to monitor and dmt tool to set my snr target my self. but dmt tool dosent not work with all routers. said not to work with my dg834g v4 netgear but got it runing using the telnet thing.
techguy
Grafter

I shall have a look nearer the time but to be honest although its a couple of quid cheaper because I've got an O2 mobile their abysmal service and lies means I will never deal with Be again (I should point out I have been an O2 PAYGer for over two years and never had a problem if I've had to contact CS)
Anyway the help I have received from Plusnet's comms team, tech support and last but not least all you folks on the community have convinced me that my decision to switch was correct.
The service and the price is also good, not sure why I didn't so it sooner.
Cheers for your replies