cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

comoda firewall and avast antivirus free versions.

owlguard
Grafter

comoda firewall and avast antivirus free versions.

Hello,im running comodo firewall free and avast antispyware free,do i actually need them both running,im getting people saying that comodo has now got an antivirusware programme in it,so are both neccesary.kind regards ray. Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: comoda firewall and avast antivirus free versions.

The new version of Comodo has AV built in and is now called Comodo internet security, unless you have downloaded and installed this you are probably still running just the firewall.
I'm running just the firewall and haven't upgraded.
HTH
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
owlguard
Grafter

Thankyou sir,i think i understand the situation and will now rectify it,thanks again.ray.
mal0z
Grafter

I've not seen much about these programs - and being free one wonders how good Huh
clockley
Grafter

Free does not necessarily mean bad Smiley
I have been using AVG Antivirus free for the last couple of years, and never had a problem with it.
scootie
Grafter

Never used anything else but comodo firewall free and avg free. i turn the pro actaive defence thing off on comodo thoe.
I download all the 30 day trail paid for sercurity suites and gave them ago a month ago and not one stayed on my system longer than 30 mins.
Kapersky was just having conflicts with other random programs left right and centre and the other two big guns well put it this way i have a firewall so i can decide what goes down my phone line and with the 2 big guns they act like a drunk door man (oh come in do what you want you look friendly).
Probally was a option hidden some where to do same as comodo with custom policy mode but for the live of me could not find it.
There free and do what they say on the tin. The paid for versions are just to bloated now days
Not applicable

Totally agree about the internet security suites - almost tried Kaspersky a short while ago as my bank was offering it cheap but glad I didn't. Much rather stick with the free stuff and it's nothing to do with not wanting to pay - I prefer it as the computer is not groaning under the pressure of all the bloat and I'm not getting fed up with all the conflicts and messages coming up.
Comodo firewall has a good reputation but it drove me barmy and couldn't get to grips with it. Took it off but it caused awful problems as the security centre was still marking it as active, thereby switching off the Vista firewall. Eventually got it off via the removal tool found in the Comodo forum, but it knocked off the security centre and I had to restart it. Took me hours to sort it so understandably am not too keen on this software. A lot of the stuff (including Zone Alarm, which I used to like), is so bloated these days and a pain to use because of complexity. Am using Avast now and it is a joy - hardly know it's there.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Here here, w.r.t. the bloat and using the free stuff Poppy. I've been using Zone Alarm & AVG free for years and on the few rare occassions that something nasty has arrived or tried to arrive on my machine, one or other of those two has got it.
scootie
Grafter

sorry just remembered what the problem was with karpesky. it wasnt conflicts with other programs it was eating 100% of my amd athlon 4300 dual core and causing my system to crash. that was the full internet sercurity package and i all so tried the standard anti virus and using comodo as my firewall and that would not work as the standard antivirus would not install as it said comodo needed unstalling b4 hand. hummm so a standard anti virus scanner package needs you to not have a firewall. MADNESS
Not applicable

For the average computer user the sort of problems that internet security can and does throw up must be a real problem (such as the one above).  Roll on the ISS that just sits in the background, doing its job but not taking up massive amounts of CPU and not constantly getting on your nerves with pointless alerts.
scootie
Grafter

the best full package i tried all be it without a firewall was the 30 day trail of AVG which comes with a few extra real time scanners.
was impressed same cpu usage ect as the cut down free version. but couldnt jusify spending monney on it as a bit of common sense form a human can protect you the same as the extra features.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've been very happy with AVG Free which I've been used for years.  It now has built-in anti-spyware as well.
CapNcaveman
Grafter

AVG let me down the other day but luckily Avast! was backing me up and stopped the little blighter from manifesting.  Strange why i got a trojan/ virus as i just general web browse with nowt dodgy to boot. Any idea's as to why this'll happen.
scootie
Grafter

you could off visted a web site with a drive by attack script on it.
can you rember which folder it had found its way in to?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@CapNcaveman
Are you using both at the same time? NIce to know if they run happily together. What was the name of the Trojan?