cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combining Fttc - pfsence the poor mans bonding? & install headaches

Ram64man

combining Fttc - pfsence the poor mans bonding? & install headaches

hello Everyone
this goes out to the Community and plusnet admins.  on both these subjects.
Lets start with the bad
 I was supposed to have a new line and fibre unlimited installed today by openreach on behalf of Plusnet,  however I've come into the curse of a typical 1930 building design and found the existing ducting is according to the bt engineer WAY to small (even though as I explained the line and ducting was surveyed beforehand in January by a different engineer and given the ok back then  typical BT)
now I can't blame plusnet for this delay but does anyone else have similar experiences of a delay and how long a delay are we talking about,  as annoyingly I took work off today and have the option of taking a couple extra days if need be in the next two weeks.  so will it be installed in time or am I looking at a nightmare months before connection?.
secondly who pays the ducting work costs?  is it part of the install given I clearly stated a new line would be needed to complete the install?
as if the delay is mega long I may just buy some cable and bury it myself and get them to terminate it.  ( in relation to this will waterproof burial grade cat5e or same spec shielded cat 6 do or do i need to use BT's on 3 twisted pair cat cable)
(THE IDEA - BONDED Connections)
all this leads into question 2,   the existing line is used for ADSL and at the time of ordering couldn't be canceled because it was being used for a remote backup,  plus the tennent using it was a real ass and didn't want to be without his torrent fix (oh the joys of QOS port restricting),  now both issues have finally disappeared I was thinking about trying to bridge the gap between BT vector 100 roll out and just upgrade the line so it also offers Fibre and do a poor mans bonding using PFSENCE and an old pc with multi nics/
now is this possible on dual FTTC  in the uk  as my only experience of Bonded connections was in the the USA using xDSL where isp's offer it as an option. or a FTTC and ADSL connection in the uk.    now most ISP's in the uk don't offer it or only offer it under ADSL,  but it is possible to still bond multi  FTTC connections in the UK from the same provider (granted you'll need two accounts etc ) or are you forced into having different service providers? e.g. Virgin Cable and then FTTC.
and if so has anyone care to share there experiences with it,  e,g do you get near >120 MBs  or do you still fall under ISP bandwidth limitations at the DSLAM to property ?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: combining Fttc - pfsence the poor mans bonding? & install headaches

Poll removed as it serves no purpose
Ram64man

thanks mod my mistake, couldn't work out how to turn it off after posting
majikaz
Grafter

Hi,
Just figure out if you are going to be able to get another line in the existing duct (which the BTO engineers said cant happen - Double check) so that's your first issue.
Next, if you do get a new line installed just go pick-up a Firebrick and load balance your bonded lines.
I'm unsure if PN offer bonded solutions but this should be something which other Service providers should be able to help you with if you luck out.
Another option maybe to take a look at PN business packages to see if you can have bonded solution via that pkg.
Or just keep your fingers crossed, hope and wait for Vectoring to roll out. and ask for 30a IP Profile to be enabled..
I am unsure exactly what the situation is regarding installation of new lines regarding costs of ducting and who picks up the final bill, etc.
If you don't make any head-way with PN about this issue. You can always contact NGA and ask for them to put you in touch with the relevant BTO department who is in charge of installing new lines (They do take about 10 days to reply to your emails).
Hope that helps
Ram64man

hmm yes still waiting for PN will call be back about a new line still ,  I think BTO still hasn't filed is paperwork back yet,  so if I don't hear by 7 tonight I'll start chasing again tomorrow morning,  either way if It means digging up the garden it shouldn't take to long after all its only 10ft long to the BT ground box and the house,  personally I can't see why they can't attach a rope to the end of the existing line, disconnect it from the junction box and just pull it back then use the rope to pull two new connection one for the new line one to reconnect the existing.  or pull the cable back and use a pipe expanded to follow the existing path like what they do installing fibre to homes in Germany (my second home)
in regards to Bonded connections I have used FB105 in the past and whilst they are ok for ADSL connections in the day,  did you know that its replacement FB2500 full loaded (the base level can't bond lines)  is limited to 100mbs  do two VDSL2 can give you faster connections than the FB2500.  i have yet to see the fully loaded 2700 in person but at the price you could get a fully running Mini-ATX with 2 gigabyte intel network cables and 1 gig internal, add open BDS and pfsence and vola one rocking bonded firewall/router,  add a few features like free realtime in/out scanning,  free radius etc.  I did a bit of field work in my time (before being Disabled) and whist it doesn't at first seem like a great idea to go down a mini-atx design or use old equipment,  but the andrews and arnold box whilst ok is (or used to be)  a little bit under powered. and in larger companies they seem to prefer using old kit and linix for connections to there DMZ 1's line access.  my experience with PFsence is granted limited but what I've seen is very powerful.  (but also FREE lol)
it may be how I worded my question in regards to Bonded connection but what I was looking for is if anyone has done bonded connections under plusnet  e.g. two plus net lines or whether you had to combine with another ISP.  this query isn't because i want a fast connection,  my estimates for down seem to be just 55 but up is usually only 8mbs,  fast for a single user but split the load between 6 house hold members all and there equipment  add the friends who use the wifi when they come around on there own subnet firewall etc etc  and hopefully you can see my needs for a fast service.