cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing phone line to talk talk from BT, will it affect my plusnet broadband?

martin2006
Grafter

changing phone line to talk talk from BT, will it affect my plusnet broadband?

hi all, fortunately haven't  been here for a while, as it says really, i currently have a BT landline and plusnet broadband, it took me a long time to get the broadband just right, but i am thinking of changing my phone package to talk talk, will this have any detrimental affect to my plusnet broadband, either service or support
cheers
13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: changing phone line to talk talk from BT, will it affect my plusnet broadband?

You must be mad!
I'd be almost certain that you'd have a load of grief doing this.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: changing phone line to talk talk from BT, will it affect my plusnet broadband?

You will almost certainly lose the broadband
carrot63
Grafter

I'd totally agree with Jelv and Oldjim - there's a potential world of pain in this. There were a lot of postings on various forums (one or two on here I think) about TT taking over broadband when all the punter wanted was a phone; I think TT claimed it was written into their T+Cs or something murky like that. A lot people caved and just stayed, those who left got saddled with a 70 odd quid bill for departing early. I'm sure there were sufficient complaints for it to cause Ofcom to murmur a comment, so there must have been an avalanche! And trying to leave TT can be a nightmare under normal circumstances, as a number of recent posts on this forum will attest.
martin2006
Grafter

Thanks guys, thats exactly what i was worried about, thats me sticking with BT, they caved in straight away with better deals when i mentioned moving to TT. i was thinking about changing my phone and BB over to sky to get free HD+ etc, but their BB looked awful as well and didnt like the look of the phone.
looks like thats me sticking with BT and plusnet.
after all the speed issues we had many months ago now, my BB has been solid as a rock any time day and night so dont want to go through all that again
thanks again Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

If TT is just a reseller of BT phone, the same as PN, there should not be a problem but I believe that now TT have their on telephony equipment and I believe there is no mechanism for  LLU phone with a third party broadband. For LLU you can have.
1. Phone only
2. Broadband with BT phone
3. Phone and Broadband
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you could change your phone to PN, it might be cheaper than BT
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
If TT is just a reseller of BT phone, the same as PN, there should not be a problem but I believe that now TT have their on telephony equipment and I believe there is no mechanism for  LLU phone with a third party broadband. For LLU you can have.
1. Phone only
2. Broadband with BT phone
3. Phone and Broadband

thanks for the reply, i just cant take the chance, even though i dont game online as much as i did, it drives me bonkers if my bb goes to pieces, i could get pnone and bb from TT for £27 a month both unlimited and through bt and pn separately it costs me about £35, but i know that works, would go nuts being tied up t a 12 month contract if the bb was less than i was getting now
cheers
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre

hi thanks for reply, it would be but i mentioned to bt that i was thinking of changing and they put  my line rental down and only charge me 7.2p per min for mobiles, also my bb would go up as well as i am on an old package
glad i asked and also checked the web as i was almost sold on TT phone, i'll have another think in 12 months
thanks to all for replies and advice
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont have to change your BB to get PN phone, thats just how they sell it to new customers
martin2006
Grafter

you dont have to change your BB to get PN phone, thats just how they sell it to new customers

oh ok, i think it was the cost of calling mobiles that put me off as well, i think i was originally looking into trying to lump my bb and phone together to save money, cant remember exactly i compared about 4 or 5 comapnies and it was the fear of losing my bb connection that was playing on my mind
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Spotter

hi thanks for reply, it would be but i mentioned to bt that i was thinking of changing and they put  my line rental down and only charge me 7.2p per min for mobiles, also my bb would go up as well as i am on an old package
glad i asked and also checked the web as i was almost sold on TT phone, i'll have another think in 12 months
thanks to all for replies and advice

Was looking at TalkTalk but 18 month contract for phone and 24 for BB a bit risky as there are so many horror stories and hate the pressure sales tactics.
What BT package/rental were you on and did you have to take a 12 or 18 month contract to get an improved price/package? I am on BT anytime monthly contract so want to make some savings.
Tried phoning them on 150 and took a long time of pressing option 1, etc... and gave up due to time restraints and they say it's good to talk but don't talk - the machines do! Wink
martin2006
Grafter

Was looking at TalkTalk but 18 month contract for phone and 24 for BB a bit risky as there are so many horror stories and hate the pressure sales tactics.
What BT package/rental were you on and did you have to take a 12 or 18 month contract to get an improved price/package? I am on BT anytime monthly contract so want to make some savings.
Tried phoning them on 150 and took a long time of pressing option 1, etc... and gave up due to time restraints and they say it's good to talk but don't talk - the machines do! Wink

pressure sales tactics is an understatement, i probably have 30 missed calls over 2 days from TT, spoke to a right pushy cow last night who wouldnt clear off but she insited that my BB connection would be 11meg not the 8 meg i get now through pn even though my bt speed test shows i sync at 8meg or whatever it is, its the maximum you can get with an 8meg connection, she says they have different hardware in my local exchange and guarantees an unthrottled 11meg connection as that what her speed tester shows, i am not changing but would like to know if this is true for when she phones back.
i was on the evening and weekend calls with bt and am changing to anytime with the mobiles at 7.2 p, i told them that sky had offered me £5 / month rental which they did so BT offered me a credit of £36 off the line rental off my first bill which makes it just over £10/month and i have changed to their free 1571 answer service rather than the more expensive option i had, this is a 12 month contract
i think the number you need to ring is 0800 3457309 option 1 which is the' i'm  thinking of cancelling' and you even get to speak to someone this side of the equator, tell them you are thinking of changing to sky or TT
cheers
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks and well done!  Smiley