cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot find valid ip address

jamie1976uk
Dabbler

cannot find valid ip address

hi, I've been having trouble with my internet for a few  months now. most of the time its fine. but it  goes through periods where it keeps dropping out. on my laptop it just says that my connection is limited or that im not connected to a network. my xbox will say that I have strict NAT type or that I don't have a valid IP address, and my phone just uses the mobile internet or will come up with an error about my IP address and location.
I phoned the helpline when it first started doing it and I was sent a new router but it didn't help. im near the end of my 12 month tie-in period now so I when to give it one last shot before I move somewhere else
thanks for the help
15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: cannot find valid ip address

It sounds like you have a fault somewhere, so switching suppliers won't necessarily help if you line has a fault on it.
It would be worth following the Help & Support guides, start with the phone, make sure you have a clear line, and if this is OK move to the Broadband.
It sounds like you may be connecting via WiFi, which can add to the complexity of fine the fault, but downloading a WiFi checker, such as 'inSSIDer' will help show which channels are less congested, so you should switch your router to one of those.
The more you know, the better you will be able to help yourself improve your online experience.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I agree with Mustrum's comments, from the sound of these issues it seems like the problem may be with your wireless. Do you have the same problems if you connect with an ethernet cable?>
on my laptop it just says that my connection is limited or that im not connected to a network. my xbox will say that I have strict NAT type or that I don't have a valid IP address

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

i dont think it is a wifi issue, my xbox is hard wired to the router. i have also tried it on wifi and its the same. i've also tried having the router plugged into the test socket on the master phone socket to rule out any problems with my internal wiring, but plusnet said there wasnt any issues with my line
mav:quote
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. Sounds a bit of tricky issue here. Have you tried manually assigning an IP address? As there could be a problem with the way that your router automatically assigns the IP through DHCP. If you have a Windows computer, then Microsoft have put together a nice guide to help:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7
It should be possible to manually assign an IP address for smartphones and tablets, however the process will be different depending on the device.
The IP address you would need to enter is 192.168.1.xx (replacing xx with any number, making sure that it's different for each device).
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: Anoush
As there could be a problem with the way that your router automatically assigns the IP through DHCP.

if it was something that the router was or wasnt doing, shouldn't the problem have been solved when i changed to a new router?
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

'award winning performance and customer service ' my pretty blue eyes! BT fibre... here i come!!
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello. Sorry that you're still experiencing this network issue. Regarding the strict NAT type, this is usually resolved by opening some ports using port forwarding. Here's quite a useful guide that could help:
http://www.portforward.com/
However, you could first try to make sure that UPnP is enabled in your router gateway. Which router are you using? If you're using the Plusnet Hub One or Hub Zero, this can be found under the Firewall tab of Advanced Settings. The Technicolor router may not provide this function.
Something else to try is to turn off the Broadband Firewall (found in the Connection Settings part of the Plusnet Member Centre)
I would also recommend trying to manually assign an IP address, as there could still be an issue in the way DHCP is assigning one.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@jamie1976uk
Have you checked your line using the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2? You should not hear any crackles or other weird noises at any point.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Anoush
The TG582n does provide port forwarding!  See this - step 4 - Game and Application sharing.
I can't link directly to that as someone has removed all the #anchors from virtually all the Help pages - not clever!
I would also recommend that the Plusnet Firewall is always set to Low unless any of those specific ports listed are actually required.
If it's the 2704n modem/router, then you need to log in using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html and go to >Advanced Setup >LAN to set up fixed IP addresses for devices.
HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also think twice before enabling UPnP on your router as it can leave you vulnerable to exploits, simply map the required port yourself.
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

I tried these things before they sent me a new router. I think i'm just going to move somewhere else. even if it doesn't solve the issue, at least when I phone the support line they won't just say " the router? that box with our name written all over it? yeah we don't support that. not our problem!"
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would be better off investing in a better router rather than going to all the bother and inconvenience of moving provider. I would recommend a DrayTek router (something in the 21series) paired with a DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem, this way it will work with Fibre when it comes along. Also, if you end up with cable in your area you can use the same router plugged into your cable modem.
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
You would be better off investing in a better router rather than going to all the bother and inconvenience of moving provider. I would recommend a DrayTek router

I could fork out on a new router and still wouldn't solve the problem though. then i'm out of pocket and still have rubbish broadband . I have changed routers already and it hasn't made any difference.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you'd be wasting your money. I've said this before on here but my sons both have a PCs, XBox and Play Stations and all they have ever done is plug in a network cable and it's worked. The only real issue I have is a lack of capacity due to being on ADSL Max, which is why I have two lines.