Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can someone check my line, constant disconnects

mandyflood
Dabbler

can someone check my line, constant disconnects

disconnects an someone please check my line
Before I start yes I am aware that there was an outage lastnight but my issue has been happening for a while and still continues.
last week I raised a ticket due to static/crackling on phone line, this was apperently fixed but had returned again, the phone line would clear if I turned off the router and sometimes the internet would disconnect if I made a call. Over the last Couple the internet has been constantly disconnecting, obviously the outage lastnight didn't help and this morning has been constant disconnects
The only info I can provide is from the router
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:55
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,016 / 4,544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 37.95 / 976.82
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.7 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.4 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.9 / 6.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 32 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,494 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 11
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12
24 REPLIES 24
mandyflood
Dabbler

Re: can someone check my line, constant disconnects

Sorry about the way the post shows im doing this on my phone as don't have pc here, only use internet for PS4 and mobiles
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

formatted sorted
Have you tried a different filter
or
If you have a filtered faceplate removing the lower half to get at the test socket and cionnecting to that via a filter
mandyflood
Dabbler

Hi oldjim thanks for sorting that, I have two filters that came with router if tried, still the same, I will check the socket and plug in direct, will take a bit of time to get the info due to using mobile lol thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Hi Mandy,
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your problems.
Is there still noise on the phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 with a corded phone in the test socket.  It should be silent.  If it us not, you need to report a voice line fault to your phone provider.  Unless it is PlusNET say nothing about the broadband problems, less they just send you back to PlusNET.
Edit: After PM from Jim ref noise stops when turing off router (could be coincidence) is your problem in anyway similar to this - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129840.0.html - ?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

we don't really need the info at present just whether it fixes the disconnects/noise on phone line
mandyflood
Dabbler

This is the stats after taking faceplate off and plugging directly in
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:50
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,031 / 4,544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 46.06 / 64.85
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.2 / 53.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.6 / 10.1
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 30 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5
I also managed to get this result when I checked the stats when phone in use, look at sn margin lol everytime I picked up phone the broadband disconnected
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:12
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,027 / 4,544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 56.40 / 76.29
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.3 / 429496728.7
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 47 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 430
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2
@townman thanks for welcome, I dialled the quiet test with router unplugged and kine was perfectly clear, plug router back in and its was noisy, phone line issues already been raised before with plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mandy,
A number of things are disclosed by these stats.
1. When plugged into the test socket, the attenuation dropped a little, which is good
2. The SNRM jumped a lot to 10dB, this too (given 3 below) is good
3. The synch speed remained the same.  Given the increased SNRM "headroom" one would have expected a higher synch speed.  This rather implies that the line has been banded.  You will need to contact PN support to fix that - there will be no one on here until Tuesday.
4. The silly SNRM with the phone plugged in, could suggest a filter issue or a router issue.  Do you have another router you can try?
5. The error counts on the last test are just silly - you need to get PN to do a broadband standard copper test.
There could be something wrong with either the phone faceplate or internal wiring given the difference between the original SNRM and that in the test socket (if we assume the router is not an issue).
Can I just be crystal clear about your phone socket?  Does it have a single phone socket or a socket for the phone and one for the router?  If the latter are they side by side or one above another?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mandyflood
Dabbler

Hi Kevin, its a single socket with 2 part faceplate that is connected straight to line coming into house, so no extensions ir any further internal wiring, I don't have another router unfortunately, I have reraised a ticket with plusnet, really appreciate the help and advice you have suggested.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mandy,
Sorry, but I need to make sure I clearly understand what you've said.
There is only one socket (phone) in master box.  When plugged into that, you got the stats posted in your first post?
You then removed the "lower" faceplate (which has no wires attached to it) and then from the test sickest, you got the second lot of stats which showed the SNRM move to 10?
Same filter?
The SNRM change just is not right, it implies a problem with the faceplate as well as other things!
Dud you raise the fault via the troubleshooter here - http://faults.plus.net ?  If not can you please do so as this is needed to drive the faults process.  Also can you try to run a BT wholesale speed test and do the further diagnostics?  This sends useful data to PN.
Kevin

mandyflood
Dabbler

Hi Kevin, that's is all correct and I then got the silly snrm figures when I tried to use phone and broadband disconnected
I can't do a speedtest as I don't have a of here( cracked my screen on laptop 😞 ) currently using my mobile to post all this, as i said in original post i had a previous fault raises about the noise on line and response was
Dear Miss Flood,

Thank you for your continued patience.
I have checked with Openreach and they have advised that they have cleared a fault on your line and they believe this has now resolved the issue you reported to us.
If you are still having problems with your phone line, feel free to reply to this message so we can further investigate the problem.

Again please accept my apologies for any inconvenience the fault may have caused you.

Please do not reply to this ticket if the matter is resolved. If you wish to close this ticket you can do so via the following link: Close This Ticket. Alternatively it will automatically close in 14 days.
However, if you feel the matter needs further investigation do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://portal.plus.net/wizard/ if we can be of any further assistance.

I have reraised this ticket as not fixed
mandyflood
Dabbler

Current status
No disconnects since 3pm according to logs but been out since 4pm so nothing being used
Router stats
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 10:55:54
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,031 / 4,544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21.66 / 112.57
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 2.6
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,497 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 104 / 34,773
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 63 / 8,633
jim:green formatting fixed mod:end
TDM66
Dabbler

Hi, I shouldn't butt in as I wouldn't even class myself as a semi-gifted amateur at this diagnosing malarkey.  Smiley
Buuuut, your Downstream SN margin seems very low at 2.6dB. If you're still lucid at this time of day. Try installing RouterStats and running it overnight. There are some posts on this very forum by Townman or Anotherone (sorry can't find one right now!) where they kindly talk people through the best way to set the program up so as to display what's going on.
Good Luck.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ha well hello. Whilst we can do that, it's not something one needs to leap into as it can get a bit tedious getting it set up when an analysis or solution might be a bit simpler.
2.6dB is OK if the modem/router is hanging on to the connection OK Mandy probably has a Target SNRM of 3db, so the exchange DLM may think the line is OK  Let me have a good look at the stats.
Edit:scrap the idea of a 3dB margin Huh
TDM66
Dabbler

Hi There, Anotherone.
Yep, you're probably right and I'm just projecting my internet issues on to Mandy's.  Smiley
But the way I see it the "official" cavalry won't be arriving round these parts for quite a few days, so no harm in trying a do it yourself sleuth, so to speak.
I'll drag my insomniatic butt out of this thread now!  Lips_are_sealed
Smiley
Once again, Good luck.