cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can new cables affect my router?

ming
Grafter

can new cables affect my router?

Our Sky dish was damaged and we got a new one, he wired it right into the back of the sky box and the cable runs behind my comp desk. Since then the speed is terrible and the comp is slow. is there any connection? When I go into my wireless it says speed 26mbps, sometimes down to 19mbps. It used to be 65.  Cry
6 REPLIES 6
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: can new cables affect my router?

Hi ming,
There could be a number of reasons, and the wireless channel you're connected to could be getting interference. You could use something like inSSIDer which can help you identify the clearest channel to use, this may help.
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Is it the telephone wiring you are referring to ?
Could it be that he's wired the Sky Box directly into the master socket so that there is no ADSL filter in the circiut ? that will really affect your speeds. The Sky Box phone connection MUST be routed through an ADSL filter.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was thinking that, MisterW, until they mentioned the wireless speed Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Ah, so you're thinking its the downlink cable from the LNB then Jojo ?
I would have thought that's pretty well screened although I guess it does carry power for the LNB.
The signals fed from the LNB, down the cable to the digibox, lie between 950-2150 MHz. Cellphones can use 1800 MHz and their signals could get into the system or the coaxial cable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If the computer desk was moved to enable access for the Sky engineer could a cable for the router have been disturbed and/or damaged?
I'm sure Sky would use the best quality downlink cable from the LNB Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: MisterW
Ah, so you're thinking its the downlink cable from the LNB then Jojo ?

I was just thinking of the most obvious changes.
Jojo Smiley