cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

belward12

broadband speed

'Hi Guys
I am on Plusnet Value with a 'selling speed 'of 'upto 16mbps' (was 8mbps), a claimed 'estimated speed' of 3.5mbps, a 'maximum available speed' of 2mxps (B T speed test) but an 'actual

speed' of 1.95mbps..
  My query is : if my actual speed is already so far below the Plusnet stated speeds what will be the' actual speed'  I receive if I should change up to Pusnet Value Fibre which has a claimed 'upto
speed'of 40 mbps? .  To put it another way will it be worth the added expense?
Regards  Belward 12
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: broadband speed

Hi there,
This depends on how you achieved those speeds and how they were measured. Either way I'm sure we can help you resolve this. Was your router connected via wireless or a network cable when you achieved the 1.95mbps and have you tried testing here? http://www.speedtester.bt.com incidentally we'd advise you to connect the router to the PC with a cable for the most accurate speed test unless you've already done that.
With regards to upgrading to the fibre service on the most part it's based on entirely different technology, the only thing in common is the copper line between your premises and the street cabinet so if there is an issue with the line it shouldn't impact greatly on that service and even if it did we'd like to get that fixed first.
Do get back to us and I'm sure we can help you get some improvement.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
belward12

Hi Adam Walker, thanks for your response and would comment further.
First of all I have established that I am 1.7 km from the telephone exchange and 450ms from the telephone cabinet (approx) and a busted cabinet within 200ms  My router was wireless connected though cable connection gives the same speed response and I always test by the bt speed test.  I hope this clarifies my situation.  I would add that the speed has been intermittently up to 2.2 during the last 24 hours, a joy to behold.
I would still like to know if it would be worth the expense changing up to PN value Fibre-- what speed could I anticipate getting on a regular basis?
Regards Belward12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

At 1.7km from the telephone exchange you might expect to be getting much higher speeds -but perhaps the cables take a round about route.  What downstream attenuation does your router report?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi belward12,
You line is capable of achieving a speed of 57.5MB/s on fibre, see this <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome">link</a> for details.
On fibre value our speeds allow up-to 38MB/s, depending on what your line can support, as your line can achieve faster speeds you would see the maximum speed on fibre.
belward12

To Reed Richards
Thanks for your interest, the line attenuation up/down is apparently 31.5/54.5. whatever that means.
Just as an interest the download speed is showing as 0.345 and the upload speed as 0.3 the lowest the download speed has been since the Olympics!!.
Regards belward12
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Attenuation is a term used to describe the reduction of the adsl signal strength that occurs on the copper pair over distance and is measured in dB decibels. The further you are away from the exchange the higher your attenuation figure will be as the signal loss increases.
Are you using a wired or wireless connection? Your speeds should be 2.2MB download and 0.4MB/s upload.