Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

broadband speed

can someone give me a simple explination to the following,
My broadband speed is around 470-480kb/s on posting a query plus net staff do some tweak at their end and this increases my speed to 700kb/s plus.
Exactly what do they do and why does this last for only a week or so before dropping to the previous speeds of 470-480kbs ?
Also is there anything(simple) I can do at my end to improve the speed ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: broadband speed

I can't see any tckets on the account that show any mentions of this and therefore can't find the tweaks done to improve the speed - this is usually caused by your modem or router syncing at a lower or higher speed with the exchange. This means that your connection speed profile is lowered (or raised) as appropriate, I suspect that this is what is happening.
Hope that helps,
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

have a look at my post (and the reply) on the 19/10 re profile change..... this is what I was referring to.... sorry if I mislead you I am not into all this jargon.
What I am asking about is what do you do at your end to change my profile which leads to an increase in speed and why that only lasts for a week or so ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We don't do anything, there's an automatic system that resets your account profile once per day based on information sent from your exchange. The exchange sets this according to the speed at which your ADSL eqipment synchronises with it when you connect.
As such if the profile is fluctuating then there is something causing you to disconnect and then reconnect at a lower speed. This may be an unfiltered phone, possibly an issue with the router, or even just a long and elderly phone line between your premises and the exchange.
For more detail on how ADSL Max works, and why this is happening, there's a good article here.