cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband speed

tamhem1

broadband speed

hi all , hope someone can help here , I have  the basic unlimited broadband package  but my internet or broadband seems to have slowed down a bit particularly with wifi  , ive  no idea why , I haven't  done anything recently , I tried a broadband speed test and it came out as .. download speed 7.48mbps ... upload speed 1.00mbps , I have no idea what this means ? is this a normal speed ? I must apologise for not being very competent in these matters .cheers in advance for any help tam

3 REPLIES 3
McT
Grafter

Re: broadband speed

If you don't know what speed you were getting before, it's difficult to say whether there is a problem or not. 1Mb/s upload speed is the best you will get with ADSL (i.e. not fibre). 7.48Mb/s download speed would be disappointing for someone living close to the exchange in a city, but rural dwellers might give their right arm to get that speed!

So first of all you need to see if it's a WiFi problem or not. If you can connect a laptop to the router with an ethernet cable, do that and test again. If not, log into the router from a web browser by putting 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and userid and password of admin and admin, or 1234 and 1234. (If neither of these work search this forum for typical Plusnet router values.)

Once logged in to the router check the ADSL line sync speed, which will be about 10% higher than the maximum download speed, and check for CRC and FEC download errors. If either are in the 10s of thousands there may be a line fault.

McT
Grafter

It would appear that Plusnet routers have an IP address of 192.168.1.254, not as above.

See here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/td-p/1270245

and here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From looking at your account the estimated speed for your line is between 6 and 8mbps so you're within the estimates for the line.

Can you give more information as to why you think the Wi-Fi is slow?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team