cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband fibre speed

sylvia2256
Dabbler

broadband fibre speed

been with plusnet for years now, but seriously considering leaving, when i first took out a contract guaranteed speed was 9.5mbs, then in 2022 it went down to 5.0 mbs, now it is down to 2mbs, this has been changed on my account without my knowledge, did phone and enquire about it in 2022 but all i was told was i could leave my contract early without penalty, that is not fixing the problem, i am not a heavy internet user but would like the speeds i signed up to in the first place, if i could get it then why can i not get it now, anyone else had the same problem, my internet speed is not great at the best of times but in this day and age for the price i am paying i would expect better service

23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: broadband fibre speed

@sylvia2256 Those speeds sound more like an ADSL connection. Can you post a screenshot of the result from this link: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL - obscuring your phone number - please?

John
sylvia2256
Dabbler

jab1
Legend

@sylvia2256 Thanks for that. It appears you are many miles away from the street cabinet which serves you, apologies for assuming you were on an ADSL connection. Irrespective of your line length though, your current speed is below what they call the 'handback' threshold, so I would first try a 'Quiet Line Test', and if that passes, report a broadband fault, as in my generic advice below.

Which modem/router are you using?

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
sylvia2256
Dabbler

using plusnet hub 2, just got it october last year, tried quiet test on line, seems to have a very faint taping in the background,

jab1
Legend

@sylvia2256 In that case, as that shouldn't happen - the QLT should be TOTALLY silent, I suggest you report a PHONE fault first. If they come back and say there isn't one, either come back here for further advice, or, as your broadband speed is below the hand-back threshold, report a broadband fault.

John
sylvia2256
Dabbler

hank you jab1 for all your help, will let you know how i get on

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Hi @sylvia2256 

I'm sorry you're still having such trouble with your speeds, I've ran a line test and not been able to find anything on there to raise. I've checked the speeds coming into the property and they're still at 2Mbps. 

Is there any damage anywhere on the wiring connecting from the phone socket to the router? 

If not, it's gonna be worth giving the router a factory reset at this point. What you would need to do is: - find a pin or a paper-clip (anything around this size will do), - find the pinhole at the back of the box, - press down the button in the pinhole for 15 seconds until it flashes green and then release, - wait for the router to set itself up again and turn a steady blue colour. 

Once you've done this, run another speed test and see if this has improved at all. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

@csmith94 The OP has provided a BTw report that clearly shows a below hand-back threshold speed - this a test by BTw/OR  to their master socket and does not involve their home environment at all.

John
csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

@jab1 - That's true but the test I've ran today is indicating that there is something wrong with the equipment, wiring or set up. So these steps will help us rule anything internally before going ahead with an engineer. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Would be interesting to know what that is, because as I say, the BTw report doesn't depend on the customers environment, it only runs to the test socket, which is Openreach's responsibility.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jab1   thats not right, the observed speeds on the BTW checker show the sync speeds. 

Not sure the OP has tested from the test socket, but it would be unteresting to see the Technical Log with the router plugged in there.

jab1
Legend

@Mustrum So you are saying that the BTw report goes into the users environment - that is not my understanding, which is that it is a test carried out as far as the test socket, which is the OR 'end of responsibility'. and that result is below the 'Hand back' threshold - i.e. the threshold where they still have responsibility to rectify.'

'Hand back' is shown on the BTW report as 5Mb/s (on an 'impacted' line), 5.6 on a 'clean' one.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jab1  hey John, I guess it is still good to still be able to learn even at our age!!

On the BTW DSL checker it shows all sorts of things, most theoretical, but the observed speeds are the actual router sync speeds - but they are not reported every day, so can be misleading after a change. The master socket has no way of measuring or reporting speeds.

HTH.

jab1
Legend

OK. So how do they arrive at the 'theoretical' speeds/handback levels, which they obviously advise ISPs of before an order for the service is placed? I ask, because when I moved, I was advised not to go for 80/20 as the max d/l 'would struggle to reach 60Mb/s. at that point, I was on ADSL with only a TGN580 ADSL modem/router attached - that would never give them an idea of what a VDSL Hub could achieve?

John