cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband dropping frequently

curlymop

broadband dropping frequently

New customers having just moved house.

Have a clear dial tone, but this afternoon been made aware that a caller rang and rang at 3pn, while I was in the house, but I heard nothing. Usually answerphone would kick-in but it didn't.

Also broadband keeps dropping in and out.

Would these be related issues, and what should I try first?

Ethernet cable is in port 1, newly supplied microfilter that was sent out with the router is in place.

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: broadband dropping frequently

Hi there.

I've tested your line today and we're seeing a potential problem on the line which would require an engineer to visit you for further investigation. Before we go down that path could you try the steps here first?

If you continue to experience problems I'd report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Feel free to let us know over here if you need further assistance or when/if you report the fault and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
curlymop

Hi Gandalf 

Thanks, it will take me a while to test via the mastersocket, as it is in a small lounge which is full with 2 sofas, piano and a Christmas tree, and the desktop pc is upstairs in a study, chockful of stuff that need unpacking

At the moment setup is like this:  Long extension cable to upstairs study - can't even see where this extension cable connects to a socket, it disappears down through the floor. Then at the end of the extension cable I've put microfilter into ethernet cable to PC. Main socket has phone.

It would be easy just to attach router to main socket then connect over wifi. Is this sufficient for testing?
Would avoid having to cart the computer downstairs and balance it somewhere on top of the Christmas tree

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @curlymop.

By all means, give it a go via wifi to begin with to see if this settles things down. If it doesn't, then I would strongly recommend testing it via ethernet. I appreciate that it's not ideal to cart things around (especially at this time of year) but I'd rather us be sure (or as sure as we can be) that it's an external issue rather than an engineer turn up and then charge you because its an issue with the faceplate of your phone socket.

Thanks for your patience and flexibility on this one - let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave