cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband at 2 addresses?

Grafter

broadband at 2 addresses?

I was planning to recommend that my Mother signs up to PlusNet. However, she spends her time at 2 different addresses in the UK (different exchanges), so would ideally need to access broadband at both. However, the £40 cost of switching each time, and the 14 day wait, makes this a non-starter with PN. She moves several times a year.
Is there really no easy and cheap means of having such a flexible service - I'm discounting mobile broadband as I assume it is too expensive. She only needs a very basic (and cheap) service as she is a complete novice - only started to even use a computer recently.
Any ideas please?
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: broadband at 2 addresses?

Well Option 1 at £9.99 per month per house is as cheap as you'll get.
Remember BT would charge £16 per month for 1 line on their cheapest tariff, so £20 per month isn't at all bad.
itsme
Grafter

You have Bulldog that do Broadband a pay as you go at 1p per minute. But they have to be available at the exchange as you have to take their phone option.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Don't discount mobile broadband , it's not that expensive now. My daughter has a contarct for £14.99 a month with a 3Gb download limit. Check out 'Three' , 'O2' and 'Vodafone' they all have similar packages and whilst you'll never get 8 mbit speeds you should see at least 1.5 to 2 mbit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If mobile reception is adequate at the two addresses as Ian said don't rule that out as a solution
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/12/internet.phones.broadband
As regard broadband via a landline most ISPs require that a contract length considerably more than Plusnet's 1 month.  If the mobile option is unacceptable then the only other option seems to be to have broadband left enabled on the landlines at both addresses.
James
Grafter

Does your mother always stay at the same addresses?
Would there be any merit in just signing up two accounts and keeping them running?  That way, she wouldn't need to pay the £40.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: ianwarrilow
Don't discount mobile broadband , it's not that expensive now. My daughter has a contarct for £14.99 a month with a 3Gb download limit. Check out 'Three' , 'O2' and 'Vodafone' they all have similar packages and whilst you'll never get 8 mbit speeds you should see at least 1.5 to 2 mbit.

You jogged my memory that Vodafone mail shot me this week with mobile broadband at £15 per month at 7.2Mbps.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you do go the mobile way then something to remember, your pc is on a network with other mobile users and you dont have a router ( with its firewall ) protecting you. Make sure you have a decent software firewall on the pc and that access through it is restricted. If you use something like ZoneAlarm then set the mobile adapter in the 'Internet zone'.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.