cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bilion 7800n router on ppoe

BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

bilion 7800n router on ppoe

i am trying to find why my router will not connect easyily on ppoa, and if it will not connect if there is a dropped connection without a reboot of rooter each time
it will connect and work fine on ppoe without any isues what so ever
plusnet require and support a ppoa connection, which i would like to use if there were no issues
i have contacted billion and spent weeks with router info  and connection settings being sent back to there head office to see if there is a hardware or firmware issue,  they also there have a plusnet line and do not have that issue there withe this router on there line. . and all the people they have stating they have issues with ppoa connection  on this router .our plusnet customers only .
no problems with any other isp llu or bt , so eitther it is some equicment at plusnet or bt equickment at some exchanges put only affecting plusnet customers.
can any one please shed some light on this matter  Sad
thanks for any help in advance
11 REPLIES 11
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: bilion 7800n router on ppoe

Posting what settings you have tried may speed up finding the problem, and reduce the number of I've already tried that replies if no further info is given.
BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

do not quite realy undestand your reply, the defaul settings on the plussnet will not work for me
both have the authenticasion as auto for sign in autthenticasion protocol
and as i said billion is only having this issue with ppoa with plusnet customers in the uk
one that does not work below

Broadband Username/Login name username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation PPPoA /PPP over ATM
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method VC Based / VCMUX / VC-Multiplexing
but these do work below
Broadband Username/Login name username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation PPPoE (RFC2516, PPP over Ethernet)
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method llc-snap-bridging
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm pretty sure that my 7800N is working fine on PPPoA, but I'm not at home to check.
There are a few other PN users with these routers and I haven't heard any others with this issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

thanks for the reply so if yours works fully on ppoa must be a local issue at some exchanges or there is issues with plusnet authentication as there our the the only ones billion is having issues with is plussnet
grahamt
Rising Star

Why worry, as long as you can get a reliable connection with PPPoE? As I understand it, ADSL2+ should work in either mode (and faster VDSL and FTTP services all seem to be ethernet-based). When I was using my previous router and had some problems with the connection, someone suggested trying PPPoE. I don't know if it made things any better, but it worked just fine - the only problem I ever saw was that it seemed to take a while to come back up after a reboot/resync.
Most other European countries seem to use PPPoE, and the UK will probably switch over gradually.
Graham
BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

understand that
but when your brodband supplyer states you should use this and not ppoe
and in some post in forum it is  stated they will not provide support if not using the correct sign up settings
i would like to be able to do this and to find out why i can not do this
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I see what you're saying about the broadband connections page (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/connections_settings.shtml) - I'll raise a problem on that to get it updated, thanks very much for the heads up.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: BLUECRUISER2
i am trying to find why my router will not connect easyily on ppoa, and if it will not connect if there is a dropped connection without a reboot of rooter each time
it will connect and work fine on ppoe without any isues what so ever
plusnet require and support a ppoa connection, which i would like to use if there were no issues
i have contacted billion and spent weeks with router info  and connection settings being sent back to there head office to see if there is a hardware or firmware issue,  they also there have a plusnet line and do not have that issue there withe this router on there line. . and all the people they have stating they have issues with ppoa connection  on this router .our plusnet customers only .
no problems with any other isp llu or bt , so eitther it is some equicment at plusnet or bt equickment at some exchanges put only affecting plusnet customers.
can any one please shed some light on this matter  Sad
thanks for any help in advance

There's quite a lot of this about. See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78341.0.html and also several other similar threads on PN and other forums (Kitz, Thinkbroadband).
I was using a BT Voyager 2110 when this problem was occurring. This is the first time I've come across it with the Bipac 7800N, which I am using now on PPPoA with no problems.
With the Voyager I just left it set at PPPoE and there's weren't any repercussions at all. I was advised that it's almost certainly some incompatibility between the router and BT's exchange equipment.
SteveArnold
Dabbler

Hi,
I have a Billion 7800N running on PPPoA using 1.06b firmware with no problems, these are my settings - I've blanked out my username and static ip.
Steve
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

the settings that count are the same as mine.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BLUECRUISER2
Dabbler

so it seems to me having the issue with a couple of other plusnet customers that billion our having  with ppoa
so there seems no idea why this is and by the look of it stuck with ppoe from now on