cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best router?

snailspace171
Grafter

best router?

Hi I'm on Plusnet Fibre Optic and I'm thinking of getting a new router.
I currently have a Netgear one... which I got second hand off ebay.... but I have a problem with the wifi signal dropping out, which I can't fix....
Looking through the forum, I see a lot of posts about a Asus router, and TP-link routers too.
I want something thats going to be stable and fast.
I need to be able to connect my 2TB external hard drive to it.... and stream movie files from my external hard drive, to my computers.... without it freezing!
Also,with my current router, Its possible to access the files on my external hdd, over the internet... but I've been too worried to activcate this, because I feel it isn't very secure..... so if theres one with a secure web connection to it, this would be great!
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: best router?

Hi @snailspace171.
As you might guess we (staff) can't recommend anything other than the Technicolor TG582n that we supply but good look in your router search all the same.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
anything other than the Technicolor TG582n

Many would agree with that recommendation!  Wink
A lot depends what you really want from a router. ASUS models seem to get a lot of love from their owners, Netgear are generally well respected (though possibly best to avoid their cheapest models - as with most makes).  Many users actually find the TG582n very good.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
30FTTC06
Pro

Grin
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My Asus RT-N56U does everything I require. I'm using a Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB NAS connected by an ethernet cable & it just sits there & does its thing. Streaming is not a problem & we're running 2 laptops, 2 Nexus & a Sky on demand box. Both 2.4 & 5 Ghz frequencies work fine. It was also very easy to initially set up & I've had no problems whatsoever, including installing firmware updates which is very straightforward.
Highly recommended.  Roll_eyes
snailspace171
Grafter

Thanks. I'm wondering whether its worth splashing out for the RT-N66U
I also notice they sell them with this new- IEEE 802.11ac
When will devices start to come in that work on that?
There's no way I'd even think about using the technicolor again. Sorry plus net, but I found it to be pretty much useless  Angry
w23
Pro

You can already get 802.11ac adapters but they're pretty expensive (as are the routers with 'ac'), I'd think it sensible to get a decent 'n300' or better now and think about 'ac' kit later when there's more around and the prices have come down.
Many current devices (smartphones etc.) can't even use 5GHz wi-fi (though it's becoming more widespread) so it'll be a good while before there's much around with built-in 'ac' (just my opinion though).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SuperZoom
Grafter

As far as TP Link goes, I was thinking of getting a TL-WDR4300 N750
Good value and supposedly good performance. Latest firmware has guest wireless network capability like Netgears tend to. And it will run OpenWrt.
The Asus is supposed to be very good though.
Would be interesting to hear what you eventually go with and how it performs.
snailspace171
Grafter

Ok. Thanks all.
The router I've got now is WNDR 3400.............. I'm going to keep my eye on it for the time being. Surprisingly, it hasn't dropped connection for the past couple of days........... maybe it knows that I'm thinking of replacing it?!
Usually it starts doing it every 30 to 60 seconds, and I have to go and unplug both the router and the OR modem.
redsetter
Grafter

for the vdsl services' openreach routers are available on ebay cheaply and appear to be unlocked without much difficulty.
http://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/a-solder-free-uart-connection/
i cannot have this service here,but for adsl here is the one i bought,its well built and appears to work fine.there are older modems much the same but need to be configured for wpa manually.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-F7D1401uk-Surf-N150-Wireless-ADSL-Router-New-/121081487678?pt=UK_Co...
snailspace171
Grafter

sorry - not sure I really understand your post?
jim:quote