cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bbci player (insufficient bandwidth)

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: bbci player (insufficient bandwidth)

Hi blim,
There is something very odd going on here. As you are very close to the exchange you shouldn't be seeing errors in the numbers you have been, nor will the small difference is the SNR Margin or your connection speed be responsible for this.
Just to be clear, the first set of stats posted in this thread are using a 582n modem/router and the most recent set are another 582n?
What is the firmware version on each of them?
Right from day one Ive had problems with bbci player but after BT did some work not so long ago the problem stoped. Unfortunately its started up again.

Can you tell us what work it was and the reasons for it?
Can you also tell us about your installation wiring - eg. do you have an NTE5 Master socket, any fixed extension sockets and where you are currently plugged in to the phone line and what else is connected to the line?
Blim
Grafter

ok give me time and i'll give you the info
Blim
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Hi blim,
There is something very odd going on here. As you are very close to the exchange you shouldn't be seeing errors in the numbers you have been, nor will the small difference is the SNR Margin or your connection speed be responsible for this.
Just to be clear, the first set of stats posted in this thread are using a 582n modem/router and the most recent set are another 582n?
What is the firmware version on each of them?
Right from day one Ive had problems with bbci player but after BT did some work not so long ago the problem stoped. Unfortunately its started up again.

Can you tell us what work it was and the reasons for it?
Can you also tell us about your installation wiring - eg. do you have an NTE5 Master socket, any fixed extension sockets and where you are currently plugged in to the phone line and what else is connected to the line?

Its funny you say that because I had my SNR pined at 6db befor and the problem when away with the time-out's, rubber banding, unresponsive and lag spikes in my gaming. Aso the radom drop in speed's stoped too. A member of plus net and my self already found the problem now for what ever reason plusnet refuse to understand let alone help. I wonder if they will start to help if I talking about this in a isp review forum?
ok right I dont have time to work out when bt turned off its capping then back on again be it was clear that the bbci buffer problem seemed to be related to them and the work they was doing.
Blim
Grafter

I have no  installation wiring. there is one cable that come in from outside and is about 30cm from the socet to the point it leavs the house. less than 30cm of phone cable are in my house.
The cable from my house to the poll is the shortest and also looks to be very old too. Maybe bt should renew this cable for me free of charge as the install has been payed for and Im only renting the line.
Blim
Grafter

considering this problem with my snr is the result of my first ever request for support, I rate Plusnet's support at -10 out of 10.

more detail?
request:
turn interleaving off.
what happend:
considering interleaving wasnt on in the first place just a fast sync than my line could handle = the noise protruding the signal (snr).
a simple way to understand this is my signal is a road and the noise is the ditch. if say you drive off the side of the road its not gonna be a good ride so you stay on the road(lower connecting speed). So why set my snr so high that the noise is protruding the signal ? or what ever way round you like to see it. seeing as the noise is a outside force from the phone line its self its, your not trying to stay on the road but trying to avoid the protruding ditch Smiley

EDIT: i sed sound and ment signal.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Blim,
That incoming BT cable, is it a Black cable of round cross-section approx. 5.3mm in diameter, or is it a flat figure 8 coss-section and what colour?
Can you hear any audible noise on your line when using the phone?
Blim
Grafter

none of them, it looks like a speeker cable in the same way it looks like two cables incased with a line down the midle but black. Im not really sure but when I get the chance i'll take a pic and post it up. Its in a place in the house I dont have access to. I'll also have to find the bit of info I belive lives on bt home sales site that states bt has a target snr of 6db not 3.
I dont have a phone pluged in i'll work on this too.
thanks for your reply even thou you avoided the point at hand.
Did I not say this wasnt a problem befor the request?
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

That's a figure 8 cross-section by the sound of it - think about it, ∞ but bigger.
Blim
Grafter

yes, what dose this mean?
edited: just for you!
Anotherone
Champion

It does mean it's old standard cable, not twisted pair. (PS. You're gonna have a mod on your heels - you aren't supposed to do a full quote of an immediately preceding post - just click on reply.)
Blim
Grafter

deleted, just for you!
Blim
Grafter

so i can just get bt to replace it?
so twisting of the cables helps? I sorta knew this befor. does this have a name id like to understand this more.
cheers
Anotherone
Champion

Getting OpenReach to replace old standard cable without a fault that falls outside of what BTwholsale define as acceptable limits is like trying to win the lottery!
It's not practical to "twist" an old cable like that - the pairs have to be twisted along the whole length of the cable to a predefined- tolerance.
If you have a line fault that shows up as audible noise on the line, old cable usually gets replaced. Who do you pay line rental to?
With regards to your query on Target Noise Margin, why are you referring to BT that only confuses the situation, your service is with Plusnet.
On ADSL2+ the Target may start at 6dB but the exchange DLM may lower it to 3dB if line conditions are good enough. However it can also move it back up to cope with changing conditions on the line. It can also give "banded" speed where your speed is limited to a smaller range of speeds.These things usually happen if you have a persistent dropping line.
Blim
Grafter

ok so I guess the next Q is, what modem should I get that allows me to set the snr and also is fast with a good processor (400mhz+) thats gamer friendly too?

yeah I never intended to twist the cable my self Smiley just interested in the electromagnetic fields and how twisting the cable helps to reduce interference.
Anotherone
Champion

As you asked, I'll just make this simple quote extracted from an item on Transmission Line Theory -
"All outgoing currents on one conductor are matched by equal level and exactly opposite phase currents on a return conductor at any given point along the line. This causes an equal and opposite magnetic field along each conductor. The opposing magnetic fields, caused by equal currents flowing opposite directions at any instant of time, cancel. This prevents the transmission line currents from creating magnetic fields outside the general area of the two conductors."
The converse of the above is true when it comes to twisted pair cable being subjected to electromagnetic fields.
Instead of thinking about alternative modem/routers at this point, you'd be far better off trying to get your line problem fixed.
If that old-standard cable is not replaced, you will continue to pick up interference, which will be worse after dark, you will have a higher error rate (as you have seen) and this will be causing the buffering and insufficient bandwidth problems you are seeing with iPlayer along with a greater depth of interleaving giving the lag problems in gaming. Personally I think that is quite sufficient for Plusnet to get BTw/OpenReach to replace the cable, but getting someone senior enough at Plusnet convinced of that maybe a different matter.
Some pictures of this old standard cable will no doubt help.
It is often easier to get cable replaced when there is a phone line fault - noise on the line etc. and reported as a phone fault. However until you lay your hands on a known good corded (not cordless) phone and confirm you can hear noise that approach is not a starter.