cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bRAS profile for a new user?

jamesdd73

bRAS profile for a new user?

Hi,  can I ask advice for a newbie please?
I was connected last week, but as I was away I only used my new up to 8 Meg connection yesterday. All working OK (thank you plusnet for a straightforward connection), but not exactly blindingly quick.  A BT speedtest says my IP Profile is 2000kbps, with DSL figures of 448 up and 7616 down.  Actual throughput though was 1875 (which I guess is the problem).  I tried moving the router to the master socket but no real change.
I know the FAQ says that the speed may vary with a new connection, but I was wondering if such a low IP profile is normal?  I was told the line would support 6 Meg at signup.

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: bRAS profile for a new user?

Your IP profile should eventually catch up with your sync speed as the 10 day 'training' period progresses. Sometimes it can 'stick' so if it is still at 2000 at the end of 10 days then raise a ticket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Make that the end of 13 days as BT can be a little slow updating PN with the new figures after the 10 day trial completes.
jamesdd73

Thank you for the replies.  As you might guess after 15 days - no change!
I raised a ticket, and was then told to raise a fault.  Currently just have automated responses saying -
Dear James,
The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found
According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.
Kind Regards,
Customer Support

It is nice that you receive a prompt response, but unless anyone actually actions problems this does not seem to help much.  To be fair it is good to see replies from the Plusnet team so I am sure this will come to the attention of a human being in due course.
Mind you, not sure about the "none found" speed test...
James
Grafter

Hi James,
The none found message is given when we are unable to see any BT Speedtests against your line.
Have you run any of these?
jamesdd73

Hi James,
Thanks for your response - yup, 4 (possibly 5) tests run. The most recent about one hour ago, with results of (approx as do not have it on screen):
IP Profile 2000kbps, up 446, down 7600, actual 1850.
James
James
Grafter

James,
Could you possibly reboot?  Your profile at this end is showing as 8000Kbps.  Hopefully this will do the trick!
jamesdd73

James,
Rebooted both router and PC and run 2 further speedtests. Results are:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1893 kbps

This really does seem a straightforward case of the IP profile not being adjusted correctly after the initial 10 days as it is clearly set at the standard 2k (I was told my line would support 6Meg at signup), and as per the replies to my fault ticket needs Plusnet to correct this with BT, but would be happy to listen to other views.
James
jamesdd73

Plusnet faults have now replied saying that contention at the exchange is the problem and there is no further action.  Angry Frankly I do not believe this (all shows as green), and to quote one of their previous replies -
"Please note: if BT has not yet set your download speed, your Data Transfer Rate value will be set to 2000 by default.
BT are aware of a current problem whereby some customers are not having their download speed set, even after the first 14 days of 'Up to 8Mb' service. If this has happened to you please let us know so we can tell BT on your behalf."

This seems to be the exact problem with my line but each reply I have had from Plus Net seems to ignore the previous advice.  Is there some reason that Plus Net now do not want to approach BT about this?
I am becoming concerned that I have been sold one service here, and supplied with another.  Sad