cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

awful internet speeds

simondudley
Dabbler

awful internet speeds

ok so over the last week my internet speed has dropped a huge amount, it has gotten to the point where i can barely load up a page, i use the internet a lot for playing games and doing uni work but recently i cant even load up pages - please can someone try to resolve this its not normal (the people who have plusnet in my town dont have this problem either)
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: awful internet speeds

simondudley
Dabbler

i could do with a line test - ive seen others who have had this im not sure if its plusnet or my end
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

There are many many problems that a line test will miss.  And it's not so much Plusnet or your end but:

• within your house

• between your house and the telephone exchange

• beyond the telephone exchange

If it were beyond the telephone exchange it would also affect other Plusnet customers who live nearby.
simondudley
Dabbler

thanks but i need a fix - it was until last week and i NEED it for uni asap
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The point is, you cannot just sit there waiting for something to be done unless you want to be liable to pay a hefty fee to an Openreach engineer if they discover that the problem is something in your house.
What sync rate is your router connecting at?
Could the problem be with the wireless connection between your router and your computer?
Does the sync rate improve if your router is connected directly to the test socket?
If you want to formally report a broadband fault, start here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/
simondudley
Dabbler

ok so it was using wireless ufine until a week ago now if i dont have a Ethernet cable i cant even connect, i have seen a lot of other people having the same problems as me on most games im getting around 1500-300ms ping whereas i used to get 10-30ms ping - basicly at 1000+ its unplayable 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi simondudley,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. I've run some diagnostics on your line and can see that your upstream speeds are very, very low, this could quite easily be causing the high pings/latency. It wouldn't take a lot of traffic to completely utilise your upstream, when this happens, your downstream will deteriorate.
To rule out an issue with your router/equipment/internal wiring, can you please connect your router into your Test Socket with an alternative microfilter? If possible, can you please connect an alternative router, in case this has become faulty?
simondudley
Dabbler

ok i connected it to the test socket and no improvement same with using another filter - i cant use another router as i only have one i dont think its the equiptment as it went up a bit lat night but has returned to very low again (i tested my download speed and im only just getting 90/kbs - i need help guys please
simondudley
Dabbler

little update i just spoke to my neighbours they to are having awful download speeds i've also seen the update scheduled and noticed stoke is on the list which is where i live will this maintenance sort the problems?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

When you have your router connected to the Test Socket, could you post up your router stats please?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
simondudley
Dabbler

Uptime: 2 days, 16:02:14
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 64 / 3,776
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 551.96 / 20.45
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.6 / 18.9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 43.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.0 / 14.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 63 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,399 / 5,516
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 131 / 84
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 328

i hope this is what you wanted
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great.
Can you please raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can investigate further?
simondudley
Dabbler

it wont let me it says an error has occurred
simondudley
Dabbler

so what do those stats tell you? - i did a speed test and i got 0.46 mbs (i used to be on 1mbs and the line test said i should be on 3mbs)