cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus and plusnet

MLF

asus and plusnet

My Thomson tg585v7 stopped working and so I went to PCWorld where they sold me an Asus DSL-N55U as a replacement. I can't get it to connect with Plusnet. Can someone tell me if this kit is compatible or do I need something else?  It says its a modem router on the box but posts online suggests it's a router and you need a modem. Any help (in plain English) would be appreciated
7 REPLIES 7
mwarby
Grafter

Re: asus and plusnet

It should work, however this modem uses a mediatek chipset, which is far from the best ADSL chipset out there
Have you read http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
this contains all the settings you should need
picbits
Rising Star

Should work fine.
You need to make sure you connect it correctly with the microfilter and user yourusername@plusdsl.net as the username and the password you log on to the Member Centre with for the password.
picbits
Rising Star

When you say your Thomson stopped working - what do you mean by that ? Is it physically dead ?
Could it be that your connection has gone down ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Asus DSL-N55U has a modem in it, no doubt.
have you entered your username and password in the router interface?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MLF

Thanks for your quick replies. The old router just stopped working,  the power light went to solid red... no other lights even after turning on and off or a reset.
I've tried the username and password combo suggested but no joy. I've just got off the phone from Plusnet support and they are saying thats an Asus uname and pw and I should contact Asus for it. In the end, plusnet are posting me a plug and play router replacement and I'll try and take the Asus back. In the meantime,  I'll try the username pw combo again to see if I can get through.  Thanks again for your help it's much appreciated
MLF

Oh boy... I'm back online  Cheesy ;D. I went back in a manually entered the connection settings given in the link by 'mwarby'...
Connection Settings
Broadband Username/Login name username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation PPPoA /PPP over ATM
Password The password you use to log in to this website
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method VC Based / VCMUX / VC-Multiplexing
... and it works!!!!!!!!! I've spent ages today getting absolutely nowhere (and all the manuals and lots of forums use terminology which are from a different planet) but thanks to you guys, I'm up and running. Many thanks  Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

glad it's sorted for you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'