Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asked for adsl2 and my line attenuation drops

weejake1
Grafter

asked for adsl2 and my line attenuation drops

hi ,

after reading my router dsl connection statistics
i would like to know why ,if my line attenuation has been 35db for many years why would it suddenly jump to 39db after i request adsl2.

in terms of distance:
my distance from the exchange hasn't changed ,as i have always been approx 2.5km from the exchange..
in terms of line speed:
well thankfully we know that the distance from the exchange relates to the line speed .so why if my house distance is the same as always, How come my line attenuation Has changed???

in terms of potential adsl2 speed rates:
this recent line attenuation increase will lead to slower speed like this example shows
35db....2.5km....14500kbps
40db....2.9km....11800kbps

has someone tied 30000 balloons to my chimney and lifted my house from its foundations and moved it 0.4km further from the bt exchange while i have been sleeping

i would like someone to explain why this jump in increased line attenuation/distance and line speed decrease and whats the reason..???

OR is someone at BT wholesale or for that mater Plusnet  trying to pretend that i live further from my exchange so they done have to pass on the bandwidth that has been requested from them?
15 REPLIES 15
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: asked for adsl2 and my line attenuation drops

The attenuation figure reported by your router is the mean average attenuation figure across each of the frequency bands that carry ADSL.
Standard ADSL uses 225 'bins' across 138kHz to 1104kHz, so the attenuation reported will be the average attenuation of each of those bins.
ADSL2+ can use 450 'bins' from 138kHz to ~2200kHz, so the attenuation reported will be the average attenuation across all of those bins.
The important thing is that attenuation increases at higher frequencies so when the higher-frequency bins are used, your average attenuation will naturally be higher
B.
weejake1
Grafter

if this is all truth which you say ,why do others ie.the websites that predict adsl2 speed rates configured from your attenuation rate as it stands  ,not know this ?
zubel
Community Veteran

The websites that predict this give a best-effort guess only.
it is impossible to take an ADSL attenuation figure and predict what the ADSL2 attenuation is likely to be as it depends on too many local factors, so they basically just 'believe' the attenuation figure that you give them
B.
weejake1
Grafter

well i may agree that your explaination is correct .but surely this would be only so when i actually have adsl2.
this adsl2 is only suppose to be active from my next billing which is due 8th of Dec.
so like i have said .i only asked for the upgrade recently and this line attenuation has increased in my router but my download speeds are the same ,however my upload speed have decreased by half.
They were at 700kps now there at 350kps.And all this change and officially i dont get adls2 untill the 8th/dec
please explain more to me
weejake1
Grafter

and also i forgot to say that my downstream noice margin has doubled and my upstream  has trebled?
xpcomputers
Grafter

It might be nothing to do with the move to ADSL2 that is pending... you might have the startings of a weather related fault Sad
This would be the case if the rain ingress or wind was causing your signal to be degraded, or even local radio interference. I would watch it at various times of day & weather conditions to see if it changes at all... you might see a pattern emerge.
I hope it all works out fine.... and you get a good ADSL2 speed!
Mike
weejake1
Grafter

ok,my adsl2 change over starts today.
in 10 days time i will be able to say.
that my download line speed will not improve one bit
my upload speed has decrease my 100%
and the new package which i had to change to in order to get adsl2 is costing me the same but i will have lost 10gb in download capacity -from 30gb per month to 20gb per month
although i am yet to be proved right,but as far as i can see so far ,two weeks before my offical change over plusnet has cut the f..k out of my line speed .
this will certainly  increase again but only to what it was under adslmax.
all this is all down to inventing ways repackage and  give out the same as what you already have and to maximize profits by cutting download allowances.
see you in 10 days
xpcomputers
Grafter

I can fully understand you frustration and the reason for feeling like you do. However as a customer for 12 years with Plusnet, I can tell you that they definitely wouldn't deliberately knobble a line so they can give you less...
If you are having problems with your line, then you ought to get it looked at, and reported to them as a fault. Unfortunately, a problem on the line might be exacerbated by a move to ADSL2+, so unfortunately it might get rockier before it gets better.
Mike
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your profile is currently 6500, so I've changed our profile to match that. What are your line stats currently?
weejake1
Grafter

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7063 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 39.0 db 20.0 db
Noise Margin 14.2 db 26.3 db
these stats were something like this when i was on dslmax
Connection Speed 8124(or there abouts) 700
Line Attenuation 35.0 (cant remember upstream)
Noise Margin 9.0 (cant remember upstream)

can you please explain why the change in line attenuation,and the rest?
weejake1
Grafter

does anyone agree with me when i say
this asdl2 is the biggest conn out there.
my linespeed was deliberately  decreased prior to going asdl2 by either plusnet or bt wholesale.
only to increase it again when i went live  to what it originally was under dslmax..
in the process i loose a 10gb download allowance from 30 to 20 gb.
nobody in plusnet gives a toss about what speed your line is.was or willbe ,,all this adsl2 crap is -is a money making spin .
i was advised by  plusnet staff when i inquired about this adsl2 stuff ,that it would be right to keep uptodate with the technology and make the change over to adsl2.
my eyes must be painted on,not to see that one coming
coastergrotto
Grafter

Could it possible be due to your distance from the exchange (2.5km)?
Mand
Grafter

@weejake,
We have *absolutely* no control over your synchronisation speed (the speed you connect to the exchange at).
There are many things you can do to get the best out of your line, but ADSL2+ is not a guaranteed speed increase, as it's subject to the same limitations as MaxDSL.
weejake1
Grafter

mand ,please explain why on my router while i was adlsmax why my line attenuation was 35 and why it then dropped to 39  after adsl2 was asked for.....?
this was my original question
i read somewhere that the distance from the exchange was measured from these statistics.
this is an increase of 0.4 of a mile
if you explain why the attenuation has increased then ill be happy and go away at least knowing something useful?
thankyou