cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

are PN monitoring torrents sites

crobertbailey
Grafter

are PN monitoring torrents sites

Hi received an email from PN regarding sharing copyright material and can only think its to do with torrents, so would this explain the email ?
Thanks
Robert
40 REPLIES 40
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: are PN monitoring torrents sites

Are you sure it was from Plusnet - if it isn't too confidential can you post the body of the email
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We will have received a copyright infringement notice relating to the IP associated with your account, we pass the request on to the customer asking them to stop sharing the copyright material.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

crobertbailey
Grafter

Dear Mr xxxx,
Unfortunately we have received a complaint regarding copyrighted material that appears to have been shared from your connection. If you're not sure why this might have been received or would like more information regarding this please raise a query at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html (click on Customer Services & Billing / Contact the Abuse Team).
We are legally required to advise you that you must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that no one (including you) uses the Service:
(a) fraudulently or in connection with a criminal offence;
(b) to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence, privacy or any other rights.
If you're aware that this is happening on your connection, please ensure you stop the sharing of the offending material.
Even if you're sure that nobody in your household has been sharing any copyrighted material the account holder is responsible for any and all use of the connection. Please ensure that if you use a wireless network that it is fully password protected and as secure as is possible. For more information on securing your networks and computers please see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/secure_home_network.shtml
Kind regards,
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah.
We'll have received a notification from the copyright holder with an IP address on which we matched back to your account.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely you include the date, time, ip address name of complainant and any other relevant material.
A statement of proof in place of a vague accusation would be nice.
Would Plusnet care to say what "all reasonable precautions" means (in the legal sense).
What act of parliament are you relying on for:-
(b) to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence, privacy or any other rights.

Most of those "offences" are only unproven civil offences.
Aren't Plusnet leaving themselves liable to accusations of libel by sending this type of email?
BTW What has this to do with Torrent sites?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom

What act of parliament are you relying on for:-

I assume this is from PN's AUP.
Aren't Plusnet leaving themselves liable to accusations of libel by sending this type of email?

I doubt it. The email doesn't accuse anyone of anything, plus it fails the "publication" test for defamation (it must be communicated to another person or persons).
Surely you include the date, time, ip address name of complainant and any other relevant material.

If I was the OP, I would like to know who the complainant was and receive a copy of the complaint.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: AndyH

If I was the OP, I would like to know who the complainant was and receive a copy of the complaint.

From the email:
If you're not sure why this might have been received or would like more information regarding this please raise a query at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html (click on Customer Services & Billing / Contact the Abuse Team).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero

What would be the effect of ignoring this as spam?
Common spam includes requests to contact their bank about internet banking.
I always ignore such stuff.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If no-one using your connection is sharing files that they shouldn't be then it is 'spam' in that the email is not relevant.  Of course, if this isn't the case then it isn't spam as the email has been correctly targeted...
VileReynard
Hero

So the old "Speculative Invoicing Scam" rears its ugly head.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

This is nothing to do with speculative invoicing. The copyright holder will have approached us directly and we've passed the notice on to the OP. If they'd like more information about the date/time and offending material the notice relates to then they're welcome to drop us a ticket as per the notice or send me a PM and I'll dig the information out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AndyH
Grafter

Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Bob Pullen' - how frequently do these notifications come through ?, are they isolated incidents or a growing problem ?