cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any guidance on setting up a home network?

ukmudds

any guidance on setting up a home network?

We just got a laptop that my 11-year-old boy will need to use for secondary school, so I want him to be able to connect to the internet on it. I don't want to spend more than £100 or so, and I'd like it to be as idiot-proof as possible.  I'd also like to have some way of making sure he isn't wandering places he shouldn't.
Any recommendations on hardware, approach, etc?
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: any guidance on setting up a home network?

If it's a new laptop chances are it's already got wireless access built in. As such you should be fine getting a wireless ADSL router - you should be able to pick one up for about £50 or so, from various online shops or at your local PC store. This means he'll be able to connect easily from within your home.
I'm not sure what you mean by wandering places he shouldn't - if you mean online then you can stop most access to p2p services etc by enabling the generic surf option in your members centre (this should be in the connection details section) though if you mean to stop access to specific sites things could get a bit more technical. If you post with further details (assuming this has helped) we'll be able to offer further advice.
Hope this does help, please let us know.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Windows Vista (which you should have on the machine) offers a new Kids account facility which gives you the ability to block access to specific websites and programs as well as making a log of exactly what he is doing (if you want)
sloany
Grafter

i agree with Orbrey with wireless, having a 13 year old son, who has visited ...... 'unsavoury places', i have tried netnanny which is ok to allow access to a few sites/webpages it is a real pain as the administrator with the software has to allow access to sites, so, when hes doin his research on different topics you have to allow access to each site. I ended up taking it off. there may be an easier way of doing this.
But, if you went wired as i did, he would have to access the net near the router, which is what i did as it detered visiting of these sites. you could also install a network monitor which logs url's, some even record screenshots and msn chat logs.
I have used global patrols desktop scout which does all the above.
depends how secure and hassle free you want your