Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any admin on ?

snipperuk
Grafter

Re: any admin on ?

hi jojo
as far as i know a fault was found and rectified  Cheesy  but i have just got in and checked the stats but the noise margin is still 12.3db
and almost 1mb down on speed
Connection Speed 1536 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation            63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin                12.3 db 17.0 db
would it be worth capping the noise margin down again if BT say's there is no fault on the line now ?
andy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipperuk,
Right, so when you say you've noise on the line, you don't mean that your phone has noise on it when you're making calls? Because if you've been talking about the noise margin all this time then we've been barking up the wrong tree!
Jojo Smiley
snipperuk
Grafter

crossed wires 
iv'e allways said high noise margin  Shocked
not noisey phone calls .............  when both tickets were raised all this was explained on the telepnone when i rang
it started last thursday when the pc was running slow so i checked the stats and my speed was halfed and noise doubled
then i noticed after the phone kepts ringing on its own with no one calling and caller id not working .
since then i have tried 2 routers(and micro filter)  in the test socket with no change ....

i was going to say something witty but i dont know how your sense of humour is  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipperuk,
Yeah, I'll pretty much laugh at anything, so don't hold back Wink
In that case then I could do an SNR reset and drop it to 6dB. I'm not sure how long it would stay that way but it may be worth a go.... if you want?
Jojo Smiley
snipperuk
Grafter

yes please

it was only a blonde joke  Roll_eyes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipperuk,
ok I'll do it now. And I do have blonde streaks!
However....
[quote=snipperuk Reply #5 on 22/11/2010, 11:19]BUT  .... i still have no caller ID and a noisey line
What colour is your hair? Wink
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipperuk,
sync rate now 2048, this should lift your profile to 1750k
Jojo Smiley
snipperuk
Grafter

LOL ............... banged to rights
thankyou for your help ... the PN staff on these forums get things done .... better then the   dealing with the tickets
if i wasn't a married man i'd wisk you away on my bike  Wink  ................  brown with grey highlights by the way
snipperuk
Grafter

still got problems
Connection Speed 1120 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation          63.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin                8.0 db 16.0 db
i cannot resync any faster than 1200kbps  ........ i've tried both of my routers
getting a but pevved with it now  Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipperuk,
If your target noise margin has gone from 6dB up to 9dB this can shave 800k off your sync speed Sad
Jojo Smiley
snipperuk
Grafter

any reason why its gone up jo ?
thought it was capped ..............  just spoke to PN on the phone and he was concerned about the high packet loss ??
looks like another visit by BT  Roll_eyes
snipperuk
Grafter

also ............. i dont know who i spoke to but i have added the following on my ticket
i unplugged the router out of the master socket and plugged it into the test socket then re sync'd
at 700kbps higher straight away @1888 , still not brilliant but could be a faulty master socket ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snipper uk,
Could well be a faulty master socket, which may have even caused your noise increase. If it remains stable I may be able to do another reset, but you would have to leave it in the test socket....forever!
Jojo Smiley
snipperuk
Grafter

just submitted 3 BT speed tests for your boffins  Smiley
if it's a case of a BT engineer needing to be in the house to test the socket and line i could do with a little bit of notice
so someone will be in  Wink
my dear wife would really love looking at the router and wires in the test socket forever  Roll_eyes
or is that a womens' i do '  forever  then end up having to do the washing up and ironing myself  Grin  Grin Grin Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Be extravagant - buy an ADSLNation filtered faceplate http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xte2005.php