cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another speed problem

hungrycat

another speed problem

After being someone who has been lucky enough to receive 6-8 meg for quite some time everything was great untill my connection speeds got slower over the period of only a few weeks. Thinking my modem was to blame I sent it back to PC world and got a nice new Netgear only to find my connection getting even slower... Uhhhggg
I cant get on to the bt speed checker site as its always so bussy..
speeds are getting worse and although it seems to vary 1 to 2 meg is now the norm (if that)
I have done all the normal checks eg test the wireing ect to no avail.
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: another speed problem

Hi there,
I can't see any specific reason why this would be occurring.  You're still syncing at around 7.5Mbps and your line is being profiled at both our and BTs end at 6Mbps, so that's definitely not the cause.
I assume that you have tried rebooting your router a couple of times and tried running speed tests during quiet times of the day to see if there is any improvement in speed?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

This could be associated with your PC now communicating with the router (which then goes to the Internet) rather than directly to the Internet.  I'm assuming your operating system is Windows XP or earlier.
Please could you run a tweak test at DSLreports.  To get the results
Choose Service DSL
Enter Download Speed as 8000
Select your Operating System.
Leave Connection as Normal.
At the bottom of the results page, just above the red text you will find a URL in small letters.  Please copy and paste that into a post here.  The graphs in the 'more detail' section provide useful information.
David
zippy666
Grafter

will that work with vista?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No, the tweak test isn't useful on Vista.  That version of Windows manages the end-to-end connection dynamically so that optimum transmission parameters should be maintained at all times.
That is why I said Windows XP or earlier in my previous post.
David
zippy666
Grafter

oops sorry