cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

and yet another speed query! again!

jmd
Grafter

and yet another speed query! again!

I have been consisitently having low speeds and have put up with this for a while.  However, webpages are getting slower to change and email with attachments take longer to download so thought would raise ticket.
Was told to do bt speedtester [not the my broadband speed] 3 times then complete fault finder.  This I did yesterday to be told that the fault finder indicated "connection speed - none"!
So I queried this - to be asked to do bt speedtester again three times.  Not sure if support actually read what you put on tickets.  Seems a waste of time as the one I did today was same as yesterday - 448 kbps upstream, and 1696 downstream.
The mybroadbandspeed.co.uk though comes up with 949 kbps down and 354 upload.
The faultfinder page still holds my old phone number and email address so that may be why it found no connection speed.
However, I am not sure why I need to repeat yesterday's process. 
I use a Belkin 54 router and have tried that and laptop in various places in house with no change in speed.
So do I accept that high speed broadband is a no for me?
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: and yet another speed query! again!

Hi there,
Your speed profile recently dropped by about 500Kbps (from 1500Kbps to 1000Kbps).
I've given it a BT of a poke and you might be able to see slightly faster speeds following on from a reboot.
May also be an idea to try changing your filters to see if this helps the situation at all aswell.
jmd
Grafter

Do you mean that I reboot router or computer?
I changed filters when I moved house.
James
Grafter

Router please.
You do appear to be quite a way from the exchange, but you should be able to get the speeds that you were previously seeing.
jmd
Grafter

Have rebooted router.
Now BT speed test shows same for upstream 448 but now shows 2208 for down. IP is now 1124.
James - your poke helped - please just poke a bit more and then speed will be better?
Did not realise that when I moved house one of questions I should have asked was how far I are we from telephone exchange!
jmd
Grafter

I though I would just check the BT speed tester again but they now say they don't have record of my phone number!
Mind you, on the "phone calls" on the portal my phone is still shown as the old number before I moved, and this number appeared on the fault finder page too - but I could alter it there.  So James as well as giving speed a poke can you sort out the customer records too?
James
Grafter

Hi Jmd,
You should be able to amend your details within the Account Details section on your member centre.
Regarding the speeds, I can't poke any further sadly.  I've merely made sure that BT and PlusNet have the same profiling rules.  If you hold that downstream speed, your speed should increase further, closer to 1500Kbps.
jmd
Grafter

I have amended my details again in the accounts page BUT my  phone number remains the same under "Pgone Calls" on the portal home page!
The phone number was correct on the account details and in home phone details so why one particular page does not change I cannot understand.
Thank you James for getting the speed up a little - hopefully it may improve.
My query on ticket not answered though.