Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all in one box ?

karlos103
Grafter

all in one box ?

Hi all
I have fibre broadband and using the openreach modem and plusnets own router ,I have tried using a BT homehub 5 but with the latest firmware it becoming a pain ,internet disconnects, wife speeds hit and miss .
Can anyone recommend a good all in one router /modem with dual band wifi ?
Was looking at a FRITZ!Box 3390 but anyone used one ?
Any help most appreciated
Karl
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: all in one box ?

Not tried the 3390 but happily using a 7390 (without BT modem), the 3390 looks a pretty good for the money in my opinion.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
karlos103
Grafter

Thanks for that ...how do you find connection etc , no disconnects from net , wifi speeds etc ? just after a good replacement for the hh5 ...which is pain in the arse !! lol plus dont really want the 2 box setup as looks a mess
cheers
anniesboy
Rising Star

Both are reviewed here,
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers
Im not able to get FTTC yet
w23
Pro

Quote from: karlos103
Thanks for that ...how do you find connection etc , no disconnects from net , wifi speeds etc ?

All seem pretty good to be honest.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
karlos103
Grafter

Good to hear ...might get one Smiley ...anyone else have any input before i buy one lol ?
Ow also its says its a vdsl modem ......is that the same as vdsl2 ?? sorry new to all this
karlos103
Grafter

what about the Asus DSL-N66U ...any good ?
seen few reviews and they are pretty good ...after updating firmware .
w23
Pro

Quote from: karlos103
Ow also its says its a vdsl modem ......is that the same as vdsl2 ?? sorry new to all this

It's ITU G.993.2 which is VDSL2.
Call me 'w23'
karlos103
Grafter

ok thankyou Smiley
now stuck between the fritzbox and the asus lol
w23
Pro

I don't think you'd go too far wrong with either.
Call me 'w23'
karlos103
Grafter

i like the asus more as it has slightly better wifi ...still hard to choose lol ...need to keep looking at reviews !! lol
cheers
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I've got a Draytek Vigor 2760n.  It was a bit inscrutable to set up but it's working well now.
karlos103
Grafter

Just got me an Asus DSL-N66U modem/router from PC World to replace my homehub 5 which keeps disconnecting due to a firmware issue. (got it Monday )
Well got it onto net with in few minutes no problem .
Issue is - when on 5ghz wifi im getting around 10mb lower speeds compared to lan connection ....tried every setting you can think of but still same , moved router to another position and tried different firmware ...stil no different .
Says connect at 300mps and testing next to router .
On 2.4ghz on same pc or even a different pc im getting 20mb...tried all settings again still no different and connected at 300mbps .
Hardwired into lan im get a constant 52mb download ...2.4ghz im getting around 32mb download , 5ghz around 42mb ....upload speed on both is same as lan connection .
Soon as go back to my BT Homehub 5 ...wifi speeds are fine , no different to lan connecting when next to router !!
Been back to PC world and got full refund !!!
Karl