cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsl problem or is my router broke?

IanSn
Rising Star

adsl problem or is my router broke?

Around 10am plusnet not showing on network list on tablet. IPad also not connecting. Tried resetting router, now only have flashing red powerlight and ethernet light. Broke router (v old pn Thomson) or is there a tech issue?
IanSn
20 REPLIES 20
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: adsl problem or is my router broke?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Gel  Think you mean a BT Router, Home Hub 5 or 6 can got from eBay cheaply. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep sounds like your router has seen better days.

If you don't have a spare, the problem is you won't know until you get another one.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @IanSn, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're router is looking to have died. If you haven't already then I'd recommend giving the router a factory reset to see if it starts working again and the connection springs to life.
This can be done by pressing a pin, cocktail stick etc.. into the "reset hole on the back of the router for 5-15 seconds. You should see the router reboot and then within a few minutes hopefully this may have resolved the issue you're seeing.

I've raised a ticket on your account here in regards to new router options we can offer.

IanSn
Rising Star

Yep, tried that before posting!

New one arrived this morning. All good.

Only one question - what is WPS?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@IanSn WPS = Wireless Protected Setup, for more info, use your favourite search engine.

John
IanSn
Rising Star

Hey! Great joke! Funny...
ISP can't be a****d to explain something they just sold you.
I got another one you might like - just dispense with the hassle of running a help forum and sent everyone to a search engine of their choice?
jab1
Legend

@IanSn (1) I am not PN staff, as you well know (or should) and (2) I deciphered the 'WPS' for you.

As I would have had to go and find a simple answer for you and then come back and post it, I just thought it would be easier for you to look yourself. Sorry if you find that hard,

John
IanSn
Rising Star

I know what WPS stands for.
Your messages are signed Plusnet Help Team - who better to ask while I'm here, I thought...
Nevermind.
jab1
Legend

(1) If you knew, why did you ask?Huh

(2) My messages have no reference to 'Plusnet Help Team' whatsoever.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@IanSn wrote:
Hey! Great joke! Funny...
ISP can't be a****d to explain something they just sold you.
I got another one you might like - just dispense with the hassle of running a help forum and sent everyone to a search engine of their choice?

There is nothing quite like not appreciating that someone has freely given their time to offer YOU the help YOU sought.  You asked a precise question, they provided a precise answer and also provided a route for you find to find out more information, if you wanted to know more detail.

Sadly we see fuller explanations offering more detailed information met with "I don't understand techie stuff - so don't tell me stuff I don't understand...".  Why is it people who do not know things, believe that their lack of knowledge is the fault of someone trying to help, invariably by doing something the person seeking help chose not to do for themselves?  The answer to most questions in life can usually be found by typing the question into Google (or other search engine of choice) and hitting enter.  For example try "define:wps" or "define:cba"

What does the user guide sent with the router say about WPS?

What does the Plusnet help guide (see https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/) have to say.

This is a community forum where a lot of people, such as @jab1  give freely of their time and experience to help people seeking answers - they do not deserve responses like yours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I believe it is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

I've never used it, as my PC and Mac have a wired connection to my router and the only thing I really use wireless for is my mobile.

IanSn
Rising Star

There was, I now realise, a mistake due to being sent email notifications of a post from 'Plusnet Help Team', which read as if this post was, in fact, from them. I now see that it wasn't.

It did seem pretty rude for your ISP to dispense with your query by sending you to google when you're on their help forum. Thus my response.

Had I realised the response was from a user I would likely not have responded at all, and simply taken the advice.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@IanSn wrote:
I know what WPS stands for.
Your messages are signed Plusnet Help Team - who better to ask while I'm here, I thought...
Nevermind.

I guess that you are referring to the automatic email sent out by PLUSNET's forum software, whose footer says something like "Thank you for using the forum / being a member of the community - Plusnet Help Team" which is not the same as suggesting the response content comes from a member of the Plusnet Help Team.

The signatures below forum posts when viewed in the forum will indicate if a responder is Plusnet staff.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.