Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

actual broadbandspeed

spennipc
Dabbler

actual broadbandspeed

Dear plusnet,
since the 8th of February 2012, when I had a continuous speed of 6.5Mbps download, during day and night, something has changed and now I have download speeds of 1Mbps to 4.5Mbps anytimes. Just done the BT speedtest:
>>Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.99 Mbps
>>For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
>>Additional Information:
>>Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
>>IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
and this is an actual mybroadbandspeedtest result:
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/147807041.png
I do not think that this is worth the £21.99 I pay every month with "unlimited usage" and an email every month when my usage is reaching 11GB, lowering my speed during peaktimes, getting an other e-mail when usage is reaching 13GB, lowering my speed during peaktime which was normally reset during off peaktime, but not any more.
I must have p....d of the plusnet management for not signing up to a newer contract (I still have an old contract, not available any more) and permanently using "unlimited usage", so they now have decided to put my line on permanent DL speed restrictions.
Plusnet, you should at least give me the DL speed of 7.15Mbps (-10%) otherwise I have to look for a better deal!
Well I do not like this and BTW I DO NOT LIKE THE PLUSNET BAND Angry
14 REPLIES 14
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: actual broadbandspeed

Hi spennipc,
Sorry to hear you're not having the greatest experience right now. I've just ran a couple of tests and there's nothing obvious showing up. It's certainly nothing we're doing to restrict you. I'm quite sure we can get things back to normal for you though. In order to do that we're going to have to run through a few things.
Are the tests you have done with a wired or wireless connection?
Jojo Smiley
spennipc
Dabbler

Hi Joanne,
thanks for the fast reply.
I am using wired connection with a Buffalo router.
Just got an e-mail saying that I have used more than 17GB within 5 days!!
I still have the same amount of PC's on the network as I had in the last 3 years.
Is my account hijacked?
Wolfi
PS: actual speed test:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1790271497.png
Just another test result:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1790283098.png
It is getting worse with one PC less on the network; 2 PC's with normal port 80 connections and that speed, unbelievable!
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Thank you dvorak, for removing whatever I put in capital letters, so it is seen by your technical support!!
tynllwyn
Hooked

I also have had a degradation in speed since around 8th Feb. I have sent numerous BT Speedtest readings to Plusnet but have had no real reply. I am also suspicious that me not paying an extra £5 per month for the prioritised service has something to do with it.
spennipc
Dabbler

Are you on an old contract (older than 2 years?)
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]
Can not find any rules in your link which forbids quotes. Just remove the quote button if you do not like it!!
spennipc
Dabbler

Quote from: tynllwyn
I also have had a degradation in speed since around 8th Feb. I have sent numerous BT Speedtest readings to Plusnet but have had no real reply. I am also suspicious that me not paying an extra £5 per month for the prioritised service has something to do with it.

just a check if they remove this quote again! Angry
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@spennipc http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_quote
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spennipc
Dabbler

ok, accepted! Smiley
just some more speed test results:
Angry
and this is NOT acceptable any more!! Plusnet you have to do some serious investigation otherwise you are loosing more than one customer!! Sad
dick:green Image tags added.
spennipc
Dabbler

Just done an other speedtest, funny, suddenly the speed is up.  Kiss
spennipc
Dabbler

And again a result of my speed checks after 00.1
plusnet what is going on?
WWWombat
Grafter

@spennpic
I notice that all your speedtest result images show the tests were performed using the Leeds server.
It has been reported (on another thread, about oscillating speedtest results) that the Leeds server for speedtest.net is giving bizarre results at the moment. To make things worse, it seems to be giving very low "ping" results - so always gets itself chosen when you hit the "recommended server" button.
It would probably be better for you to perform speed tests using one of the servers in the South-East. I've always found the Newbury one to be more predictable than the London ones.
You have to select one of these servers manually using the map.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi spennipc,
Looking at the speed tests an the timing of the results it appears that your are restricted in line with your current usage. Your current product (which is not unlimited by the way) gets managed at various stages of usage thresholds being hit. You can see a guide to how this works on your product here. If you think you could keep your usage below 60GB per month between 8am - Midnight, it may be worth you going on Extra which would save you £4.00 per month.
As far as your connection being hijacked, the only was this could happen is if someone was using your wireless connection, or a computer was running background programs you were unaware of.
Jojo Smiley
spennipc
Dabbler

Thanks Joanne,
well I would like to upgrade to extra as my average usage during the month is more than this 20GB. Is my referral discount bound to my product or account, so could it be transferred?
Regarding hijacked: I have never had an e-mail from plusnet about my usage within 5 days from beginning of the billing month. My router has MAC filtering enabled, so no hijacking through wireless. Wink
If I keep my referral discount I am going to upgrade.
Thanks
Wolfi
just for the record, here is an other speedtest with an other server as mentioned by WWWombat:
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Referrals are totally independent of the product you are on so you'll keep them all (you can even move your broadband to another ISP and keep getting your referral payments).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spennipc
Dabbler

Thanks for that. Just upgraded to EXTRA. We will see how that goes. Smiley