cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing spam folder without webmail

glocal
Rising Star

accessing spam folder without webmail

I find the spam filter works fine but it keeps producing the odd false positive from certain senders despite my attempts to train it. This means I have to keep checking my spam folder through webmail just to make sure there isn't something waiting there which is a pain because I prefer my software and I'd rather not log on to my several mailboxes just to check. One solution is to use IMAP to check the spam folder, which again messes up my setup. Is there some software that will allow me to check only the spam folders of several mailboxes periodically? An idea would be PN to add the option to forward spam to another address (eg spam@ or blackhole@), instead of us having to choose between the respective spam folder or the inbox. This way the spam mailbox can be checked independently.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: accessing spam folder without webmail

I use Outlook as my main mail client. I also use Thunderbird in IMAP mode to monitor the spam folders. You just need to go in to the properties of the spam folder and set "Check this folder for new messages" - works a treat for me.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Most email clients allow you to create a new account / user which you can then setup in IMAP mode to view your spam folder without affecting your existing accounts.
I use OE and have setup several additional accounts to check the spam folder from a number of mailboxes I have. I can then easily move false positives to my main accounts within OE.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't have an Outlook account pointing at my catchall mailbox. When I find an email in there I can move it from that mailbox to a mailbox that is collected by my email client using Thunderbird - you can't move messages between accounts in webmail!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)