Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access port forwarding?

jamie1976uk
Dabbler

access port forwarding?

hi all,
ive been having a problem with my broadband for a few months now. when I try and use my xbox , it says  I have a strict NAT type, and when I use my laptop it says I have limited internet access. resetting my router sorts the problem for a while, but then it happens again.
I've tried the plusnet online chat, which was a complete waste of time. even though he agreed that it is a problem with my plusnet router, they don't support it ???go figure!
looking online it says its something to do with access ports. but I cant find an idiots guide and how sort the problem. is there anyone on here that would be able to talk me through it.
thanks for any help
10 REPLIES 10
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: access port forwarding?

Hi Jamie,
Unfortunately this is one of the things that aren't officially supported by our Tech team, I was about to write a short guide whilst teamviewered into my home PC to see the routers settings but I've reconnected by PfSense box so I can't at the moment
Once I get home(about 11 tonight) I'll plug the 2704 in and write a short step by step guide to sorting port forwarding
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Back at home now Smiley
First of all load the routers configuration(go to "192.168.1.254" in a web browser whilst connected to the router)
Choose "Advanced Settings" and enter your routers Admin password(this is on the back of the router)
Choose "I Understand" at the prompt then select "Port Forwarding"
Once you are in this menu we are ready to start port forwarding.
Choose "Add new game or application" at the bottom of the page
On the next screen you will need to know the ports that the services you are using require to be forwarded, for Xbox One these are:
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)
Start by giving the application or service you are forwarding a name, in this case I'll use "Xbox Live"
Next to "Copy Existing" select "No"
In the box below this enter each port on a new line and put the same port in the 1st column and the 2nd column
Choose the protocol for each port from the drop down, note some are TCP, some are UDP and some are both
Click Apply
On the next screen select "Xbox Live"(or whatever you called your service) from the "Game/Application" dropdown and choose your Xbox from the "Assigned to" dropdown
Click Add
You should now see your service listed below and it will show your Xbox as the assigned device.
That's it, all done.

I have attached a screenshot of the port entry page so you can see more of what I mean, if you need any more help let me know
Paul
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

hi thanks for the reply,
I've just tried this, I get all the way through , entering all the ports... but when I click apply I just get an error message saying " you are not allowed to access this content"
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

are you able to post a screenshot of that as that definitely shouldn't be happening
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

theres not much to take a screenshot of, its literally a white screen with "Sorry! You are not allowed to access this content"  on
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

that usually pops up if someone tries to access the logs in the router without modifying things first
I'll get that one looked into tomorrow for you and get back to you
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

is it possible that this isn't even the issue anyway? as its not just my xbox that im having issues with, my laptop keeps flashing up that I have limited internet access, even im phone has trouble connecting and  resetting the router solves the problem temporarily
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It could be the router, I'll check with someone in our products team tomorrow and get back to you, if needs be I'll get a new one sent out for you
jamie1976uk
Dabbler

nice one! thanks again for the help
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good Afternoon Smiley
I've had a word with a few colleagues about this and the general consensus is to get you a new router out, so a new one is on it's way, with it being Christmas it may take a few days extra to arrive but should be there early next week, there will be a returns bag with it if you can pop the old router in that so it gets back to us
Thans