cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access point

shard1

access point

Can anyone tell me how to setup another router as an access point to enable me to use  it to connect by cable to my sky box Crazy Crazy
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: access point

If I read it correctly, you want to connect your Sky box using a network cable to another router, which then connects wirelessly to your existing broadband router ?
If that is the case then you need either a wireless bridge or client configuration and not an access point. An access point is connected to your existing network by cable and provides wireless access facilities to its clients. Almost all routers can be configured as access points, simply by turning off DHCP and connecting one of their LAN ports by cable to your existing router. Some routers can be configured in wireless bridge or client mode but its a lot less common and usually more tricky.
What make/model is the router you plan to use ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frank39
Grafter

The solution I and my family have adopted, for many years now, is to obtain a Belkin 54g cable router (for about £10) and to use that as the access point.  The Belkin comes with a set up option to configure as an access point and a comprehensive set of instructions in the online manual.  Basically, you connect a PC to one of the Belkin output ethernet ports (do not use wireless) select the access point set up option, change the address to be within the range of your main router and reboot.  Then connect your access point ( cable input to any router output) and your PC to the main router and you can then access it through the new address to set up the SSID and security.  I have used this arrangement successfully with Netgear 834, Netgear DGND 3700, Belkin 54g, thomson 585 and thomson 582 modem routers.  I believe that some of the newer Belkin routers come with the access point option, but I would check in the online manual before purchasing. Not all of the newest routers (I'm thinking of Netgear) will, when set up as an access point, pass through the DHCP information from the router.
shard1

Re Access point. The router I have is a TP-Link 150mbps wireless. can you tell me how to set this up as a bridge Undecided Embarrassed Embarrassed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You might be in luck with the TP-LInk , some of those will allow setting to bridge/client mode. Need to know the exact model no to check ?
Here's a link to the TP-Link site showing the various 150mb wireless routers http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/?categoryid=213

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frank39
Grafter

If you would like to try RTFM, here's a link to the TP Link manuals.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/
I have looked at one or two models and they don't offer any help on access point or bridge mode.  You might be lucky with yours.
shard1

The router is a TL-WR740N 150Mbps wireless N router hope this helps. Thanks
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

You'll need to know whether it's a V1, V2, V3 or V4 apparently: http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR740N
I think it's the 'WDS' setting you're looking for here, perhaps someone who knows better can confirm please?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The only manual available on the TPLink site is for the v4 and that doesn't seem to have on option to configure it for wirless Bridge/AP Client mode I'm afraid.

w23
Pro

From page 38 of the V4 manual:
Enable WDS - Check this box to enable WDS. With this function, the Router can bridge two or more WLANs.
Is this not what's required?  Happy to be corrected if wrong as I'm not an expert and have never used WDS.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@walker23, I'm not sure that WDS will bridge the Wireless to the LAN ports, rather it will just extend the existing wireless network. It might be worth a try though...
Albeit I've never had much sucess with WDS in general.

w23
Pro

Hopefully shard1 can give this a try (and let us know if it works please), if it doesn't work then it might be a job for a set of homeplugs.
Call me 'w23'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, Homeplugs would be a simpler solution, or even a cheap wireless AP that is capable of Client mode.