Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abreviations in postings

Ianwild
Grafter

Re: abreviations in postings

Gary,
Personally speaking, I find your last post to be pretty disrespectful. This is a good debate, but I don't see why you chose to make it into a personal attack in that way? No one said anything which should have offended you, and if they did I think explaining why you were offended and perhaps asking for an apology would be a more appropriate approach.
Again, from my own point of view, I think phrases like LOL (Laugh Out Loud) have their own meaning in Internet terms and forum discussions and if people don't already know what they mean it's a good learning opportunity to find out (I mainly use forums to learn stuff anyway). Industry phrases like WYSIWYG, MAC code etc may all be confusing to a screenreader, but I don't see it's a reason for people not to use them. I wouldn't want to exclude anyone from using the forums but I also don't see why people should be prevented from using appropriate language where it has a well known meaning or the correct meaning can be easily found.
Customer newsletters and the like are different, because the general audience and purpose is so different.
Ian
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Again, from my own point of view, I think phrases like LOL (Laugh Out Loud) have their own meaning in Internet terms and forum discussions and if people don't already know what they mean it's a good learning opportunity to find out (I mainly use forums to learn stuff anyway).

Interesting you should say that as I used LOL in an informal email regarding a situation to a manager at work. Although she was computer and internet savvy to her the acronym meant 'Lots of Love', oops  Embarrassed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Spider
to her the acronym meant 'Lots of Love', oops  Embarrassed

I've fallen into that trap too. Sad
I have to say I have a degree of support for Gary.
Ok, he tends to get a bit overheated at times but he and others with a disability often have just cause.
I wish there was something I could do Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

LOL
    Derby Field airport (code) [United States]
    Laugh Out Loud
    Laughing Out Loud [USENET/IRC-ism]
    Limit Of Liability
    Little Old Lady
    Lots Of Laughter [common expression to indicate appreciation of humour in email]
    Lots Of Love
    Lots Of Luck
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OK what does this one mean
Quote from: memesmith

OK a problem I've posted about before, when I first started with PlusNet, but STOL haven'tbeen able to solve.
I use IMAP for my PlusNet mail.

STOL
    Short TakeOff and Landing
Found: 1
Not the acronym you meant? Try the ACE Acronym Creator
This is not Google. If you want to search the web, try
cp:green Quote tag sorted. mod:end
The_10th
Grafter

OP = Orig Post
OP = Observation Position
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Gary. Apparently I've upset you in some way. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional.
1) The Forum is provided by F9 / PlusNet Yes?
Yes, it is.
2) This Forum is a service Yes?
Yes, it is.
3) So because I use a text reader you are saying that I can not, use the service, is that write?
No, that's not what I said. I just said that I have no problems with people using acronyms and will continue to use them. If you have problems with acronyms that's fine - it's not my problem, but I don't think I should give you special treatment because you're dyslexic. That would be discrimination. I assume you can use google and http://www.abbreviations.com exactly the same as anyone else.
4) With a book I can and do use Optical Character Recognition Software, mind you the book is no good wen I am done with it!  Smiley
I dunno, it's still the same book.
5) So I shoodent be abal to have a laf with other people, is that watt you are saying to me?
What? By using acronyms in a forum I am preventing you from having a laugh? In what way exactly? Is it not possible for you to look up the acronym in the same way as anyone else?
6) So you are saying to me that I shoodent get information from the Forum, is that watt you are saying to me?
Again, no. I can repeat what I did say again if you think it would be useful.
Out of interest, why is it everyone else's job to fit around you and your dyslexia? I don't have a problem with it, but most people affected in some way don't want and certainly don't expect to be treated differently and I don't blame them. I find it belittling and offensive and suspect they do, too.
The_10th
Grafter

What about making this an EOT (end of topic) post?  Smiley
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

I think the best thing that could happen for everyone concerned is for me to lock it - I will not move it as it has it's merits in some of the things that have been highlighted, and it would be a shame to take that away from the community.
The potential for further mud-slinging and point scoring is too great for me to ignore.

*lockinated*