cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abreviations in postings

pierre_pierre
Grafter

abreviations in postings

not being a phone text adict I find it extremely difficult to understand a lots of the things used, some I have managed to sort but can we use plain text at all times please.
One posting I have just looked at ran to nearly a page but had the terms IMHO BTW etc. these two I think I got correct but a large number get me scratching my head and it is making me Bald  Grin
53 REPLIES 53
The_10th
Grafter

Re: abreviations in postings

Maybe this will help.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I notice that page has been made family friendly
What The F err heck  Shocked
TTFN
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: geezer
Maybe this will help.

TFIF  or TGIF    what did you mean?

edit Something about Friday
Tony_W
Grafter

I agree with you pierre_pierre. How much longer does it take to type 'as far as I know' than to type AFAIK.
The abbreviations are really texting usage where a proper keyboard is not available - IMHO they have no place outside that application. Wink
itlity
Grafter

Two other alternatives to help:
  -http://silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms
  -http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/
Patrice
Neil_A
Grafter

Abbreviations in posts and ticket responses is something we are probably very guilty of, particularly when there is so much jargon in the internet world.
One of the things we're looking to develop on this site is a glossary system where words/abbreviations identified as jargon can be clicked on to get a definition. I'll ask one of the website team to come to this thread and give a bit more detail on the plans.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Who's going to be the first to create a post composed entirely of acronyms....not me, IMHO they are a PITA Grin
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why can't we use TLA's and FLA's when posting?
(I have The Internet Acronym Server bookmarked)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Neil_A
One of the things we're looking to develop on this site is a glossary system where words/abbreviations identified as jargon can be clicked on to get a definition. I'll ask one of the website team to come to this thread and give a bit more detail on the plans.

Not plans.. released software Neil  Smiley   Mike Whitehead wrote us a fabulous plugin for our Blog software (Wordpress) that drives much of the Community Site. For example, if you hover your mouse over the acronym 'QA' in yesterday's EOD post:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/01/17/end-of-day-17th-january/
..you'll see a text box that explains what the acronym stands for.
Unfortunately the forums aren't driven using Wordpress and hence we can't use the same system here.
Acronyms and 'geek speak' have been a part of business life (not just computers or Internet) since, I would imagine, the bronze age.  We should always be mindful that many people reading a post or article will not be familiar with technical terms such as BRAS, SYNC, POP or whatever, or 'shorthand' such as BBS (be back soon) or HTH (hope that helps).
There are millions of such terms.. even I, as familiar as I am with this stuff, had to ask Colin yesteday what Kelly was saying in our IM (Instant Messaging) system.. AFK he said.  That meant he was going 'away from keyboard'.  I though he was being rude..  lol  (laugh out loud).
See?  Everything we type and acronyms just come puring out.. it comes with the territory.
What we *can* do is to provide YOU with the ability to maintain a help page listing common (or not-so-common) acronyms and tech terms.  The ability for you to maintain help pages from within the Community is coming soon.. stay tuned. And we'll join in too..  it'll never have everything though.  The geeks make up this stuff all the time.
And if you think we're bad, you should try talking to someone from BT.. they're acronym crazy!
mcgurka
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
or 'shorthand' such as BBS (be back soon) or HTH (hope that helps).
And if you think we're bad, you should try talking to someone from BT.. they're acronym crazy!

Now for some reason BBS seems to be embedded in my mind as an older acronym for bulliten board system (see http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=BBS&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.google:en-US:official&client=fir...)
And as for BT being acronym crazy... yes they are! It throws them off when you know some acronyms as well.. just a 'helpful hint' for you all Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

What about this Forum rule.
I can speak a little Swahili...can I post in that? Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

I remember Penny doing a PUG Glossary.
I'll see if I can dig it out at all.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Strat
Now there's an idea - every time we see a post with an acronym that cannot be found in say http://dictionary.reference.com/ we report it to the moderators using the handy button on every post. Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Jameseh
I remember Penny doing a PUG Glossary.
I'll see if I can dig it out at all.

PUG? Grin