Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube problems

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Youtube problems

Any other Google services or apps causing issues, maybe downloading from the android store or listening to music via google play?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pyrii
Grafter

The cut-outs I was talking about were with speedtest.net which you can see in the speed graphs created during the test.
Unfortunately my speed seems to be all over the place as I'm still in training, I just got a 40Mbits result o_O

Might be worth testing other sites to see if it's not just a peering issue with google. I've also noticed BBC iPlayer cutting out a lot too. Moreso than when I was Be last week.
Is the the infamous afternoon congestion I keep hearing about?
EDIT: Does PN peer with google and/or the BBC?
EDIT2: Quick Google found this page ( http://www.plus.net/features/network/technical_info.shtml ) which shows PN peer with the BBC, but only at 1Gbps. But would that still cause issues at times I'm seeing, even at 2am at night?
danger11
Grafter

Yes they will peer with them and most likely have google cache servers (to speed up the loading)

http://bgp.he.net/AS6871#_peers
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Android play store downloads fine, instant downloads at good speed, google play music working ok too with instant playing. It just appears to be youtube.
I've watched bbc iplayer in HD for an hour earlier and that was fine here, lovefilm also appears to be ok.
SuperZoom
Grafter

I tested since I saw this thread and also see a delay of maybe 10 seconds. Perhaps it's only on uncached videos, as ones on the front page seemed to play immediately.
Razer
Grafter

Just to confirm that I have been having this issue for a few days. Most often I simply give up waiting for the bloody video to start playing and just close the page.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I must admit to have had the same problem ? i checked all running services to see if anything out of order, all fine . Reinstall Flash after uninstall with Revo uninstaller then check with C Cleaner , was still the same ?
uninstall FF 21 cleaned then fresh install , But it still happens  Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RJM
Rising Star

YouTube is a little better today.
Just hope that normal service will resume soon after their "tweaking".
Razer
Grafter

Where does it say that YouTube are tweaking?
Pyrii
Grafter

iPlayer seems fine now, but last night it wouldn't go for 30 mins without freezing up and needing refreshing.
SE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have fibre 55-60Mbps down 9-11 up
youtube sometimes will not start, and half way in to the video it stops and will not buffer
same with steam, it puts me as off line for a min or so, even though I never drop vdsl sync  and google still works at the time
with downloads and video streaming my download meter shows cut-outs every few seconds, 55Mbps, then 0Mbps, then 55 again
this is on all pc's and I only use cat6
was not like this for the first few days of vdsl and never like it on adsl2+ adsl1
is this a pn only problem? I asked  friends in the us and uk to play the videos and they had no problem
deathtrap
Grafter

After writing this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118814.msg1029378.html#msg1029378 i found that  the you tube issue is an intermittent issue, as sometimes a HD video with buffer fully at line speed , and other times it will buffer in small chunks at a lower speed, and possibly on occasions it fails to download the next chunk , although  when i tested  it was  small chunks at a lower speed or ,fully buffering at line speed and that was using the same video to repeat the tests ,
deathtrap
Grafter

Well today tested earlier on (afternoon)  and a hd video buffered fully the first time at line speed but when i repeated the test it buffered at line speed but not all in one go, several pauses , just tested again and both times buffered fully in without pauses, at first line speed which dropped off midway but climbed back up to line speed again, so an improvement , whether it's as a result of changes made by plusnet or it's related to something with you tube  ect i couldn't say as there hasn't yet been an update on this from plusnet staff, since yesterday
SpiritualBeggar
Grafter

Ive been having problems with online video since I change to Plusnet. Its a pain in the "£$%, when on a 60Mb/20Mb connection, you can see youtube dropping the quality from 1080p to 360p,
just so it will play without buffering.
SE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Spiritual
Ive been having problems with online video since I change to Plusnet. Its a pain in the "£$%, when on a 60Mb/20Mb connection, you can see youtube dropping the quality from 1080p to 360p,
just so it will play without buffering.

If you have win 7 can you run network meter gadget and see if you get cut outs

http://addgadgets.com/download/Network_Meter.zip
with my other isp I had problems with speed on adsl1 20cn networks (Hot vp 20cn), but not cut-outs every few seconds,
the meters I used with them have always been a steady line for the most part, but never cut outs like all, nothing, all. and this is not the exchange dropping sync as its up all the time
this is with steam too, its like pn is cutting off for a few seconds as steam puts me as off line even though I can google at the time  Roll_eyes