Did you mean: 

YouTube upload problems

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: YouTube upload problems

Quote from: ejs
There's probably a load of tracing that could be enabled in an attempt to determine if the gaming issues could be due to the technicolor not being able to keep track of all the UDP traffic.

Or a router from another manufacturer could be tried? Wink
@Razer, I know I've said it before but it would really help to rule the router out.
Quote from: Razer
As to YT, I did more testing yesterday and it's still stalling. Bob, have you had any chance to look at those captures?

Yes, I looked at them earlier.
They all support what you're reporting. The upload starts, stalls for a bit, starts again and then seems to slow to a crawl. This is a graphical representation of the third of the captures you sent. It shows upload progress ~20Mb into a ~100Mb file upload. X axis shows time, Y axis shows data transfer.

So the question is, what's happening when the speed plummets?
20452	228.692452	192.168.1.64	173.194.78.116	TCP	1484	[TCP Retransmission]

That's what seems to be happening. Shed loads of TCP/IP retransmissions. The YouTube servers seem to be sending ack packets for the data you're uploading but your machine seems to be trying to retransmit it regardless.
Imagine it like this:
Your machine: Here's some data
YouTube: Thanks I've received it, can you send me the next bit?
You machine: Here's some data
YouTube: Yes, I already have that bit, can you send me the next bit?
YouTube: Yes I know, can you send me the next bit?
YouTube: *sigh*
So next question is, why's this happening? Well sadly that's not as cut and dry. We're back to trying to diagnose things by eliminating what /could/ be causing the problem.
It could be your receive window being too high, but that looks OK in the captures you've sent to me. Besides I'm guessing you haven't fiddled with the MTU/RWIN settings of the machines or your router anyway?
It could still be the errors we've seen on your line corrupting data and causing the retransmissions, that would certainly help explain the gaming problems as well.
Are all three machines wired and in each case is it a different ethernet cable that's in use? If you've been using the same one then it's probably worth swapping the ethernet cable out for a spare.
I think at this stage it would help to set up a Think Broadband monitor for your line. I've assigned a static IP to your circuit and forced a reconnection so that you're assigned it. I've created a monitor myself but you'll need you to allow PING on the WAN interface if you don't mind because it's currently being blocked? I also think it would help if you stopped the gateway hopping. Whilst analysing the line it helps to keep as many things constant as possible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Razer
Grafter

Re: YouTube upload problems

OK. I appreciate very much the help which you and any member of staff try to give (and members, of course). Very much. So thank you for looking into the captures. I think it best, however, to send you a PM.