Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube upload problems

Razer
Grafter

Re: YouTube upload problems

Hi ejs, thanks for your input.
I made adjustments in regard to MTU, following Spraxyt's suggestion in my thread back in March. Apart from the number as suggested, all other settings were left as default as I recall and all ran well with uploads until this month.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

When trying to check the path MTU by pinging with large packets, I see 173.194.70.95 doesn't send back large replies (but doesn't send back a "fragmentation needed but DF set" error either):
[tt]ping -c 5 -s 1472 173.194.70.95
PING 173.194.70.95 (173.194.70.95) 1472(1500) bytes of data.
72 bytes from 173.194.70.95: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 (truncated)
72 bytes from 173.194.70.95: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 (truncated)
72 bytes from 173.194.70.95: icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 (truncated)
72 bytes from 173.194.70.95: icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 (truncated)
72 bytes from 173.194.70.95: icmp_seq=5 ttl=46 (truncated)
--- 173.194.70.95 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 59.747/60.201/60.563/0.333 ms[/tt]
It's slightly unusual, but not necessarily relevant to your slow uploads problem.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Razer
"interleaving ... only takes a day to remove again ... don't see any harm in trying": Hmm, my vague memory prevents me commenting specifically. That aside, to my mind it's a bit like thinking that bowing to the sun might engender some favour for one crop when not bowing has no effect upon another. You can try it if you want, if only to dispel the myth, but I'm going to be pretty [Censored] off if it impacts my already problematic gaming and if when I come to requesting it be removed again I get any of those problems my memory is currently vague about.

I'll look after its application removal. I've placed an order to apply it which will complete at some point tomorrow. I suggest we then see how things pan out over the weekend and remove it early next week if it has any undesired effects, how does that sound?
"And nobody else is complaining": Which may help me to ascertain where the problem lies as I guess I can presume from that information that it's not a routing problem - assuming of course that there are other YT uploaders going through the same route as my traffic. How can one ascertain if a specific problem may lie at my exchange, for example? Could there even be such a problem which would affect YT uploads?

Unlikely and certainly not easy to establish. Perhaps ask neighbours/others in your area to try uploading to YouTube and see if they have difficulties?
"I've just queued a 2GB+ mkv file ... upload is around 18Mbps": Can I have your connection? Seriously, I've been wondering about things YT, so I'd like to ask you: Is the YT account corporate or private? If private, is it monetised and do you allow advertisements to appear on your videos? How many videos, roughly, do you have uploaded and how frequently do you upload?

I was uploading to a very infrequently used personal account which isn't monetised and has ads disabled.
"Sourcing another router would be helpful": As said, haven't got another, can't get one either. Don't see how it can be the router if DB uploads are fine. Again, I would presume a problem would be universal if it were the router at fault.

I've seen stranger things happen. What router are you using at the moment?
"why your line disconnects": I said before, gateway hopping.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Razer
Grafter

Hi bob, thanks for the responses.
I'm using the PN supplied TG582n, an FTTC router flashed with the ADSL firmware after I had four of the standard ADSL routers that whistled. And I really, really don't want to be going through the same business with a sixth as I've had to with five, just in case you're thinking of suggesting a replacement. Anyway:
"I'll look after its application removal. I've placed an order to apply it which will complete at some point tomorrow. I suggest we then see how things pan out over the weekend and remove it early next week if it has any undesired effects, how does that sound?"
OK. Well I don't like it still, but go ahead.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

According to an email I've just received, the order should now be complete.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Razer
Grafter

I figure it is because my upload synch is reduced, as is my download synch (888) and my ping is higher (:(). I'll report back when I come to trying to upload again.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Did you get the chance to try?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Razer
Grafter

Yes, and it hasn't helped at all. Yet another crawling/stalling upload cancelled.
Razer
Grafter

As soon as someone is able, please remove interleaving from my line. As I feared, aside from being of no help with YT uploads it has totally fucked up my gaming.  My router log:
Uptime: 0 days, 4:31:53
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 22.122
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 70,07 / 102,25
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,1 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8,5 / 16,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,6 / 3,2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 507.101
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 45
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3.202
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You said earlier that your using opendns.
Have you tried uploading to youtube when using Plusnet's DNS?
Razer
Grafter

I've switched back to PN's DNS since posting to test if it made any difference. It didn't of course. I've yet to switch back to OpenDNS.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I wonder if this could somehow be related to your odd issue about a google cookie considering youtube is also google.
Razer
Grafter

I've tried both accepting and rejecting the cookie, ejs. Doesn't make a difference. That said, YT/Google are really weird where cookies are concerned when it comes to accessing their 'product' forum. You can't see the posts if you automatically refuse certain cookies, but if you manually refuse each [that is, allow the prompt first], you can. Weird. It's the same with sending feedback on pages, it won't operate properly unless you allow the prompt. Anyway, re: the google cookie I previously posted about, I changed no settings in regard to that one, and that one popping up is on another OS instance that I don't use to upload to YT (though I have tested with it once).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As soon as someone is able, please remove interleaving from my line.

I've just placed the order to remove interleaving. It will complete at some point tomorrow, however ...
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 17 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 507.101
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 45
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3.202

Those FEC errors are *corrected* errors courtesy of the interleaving that's been applied (and there's a lot of them in just four hours). Once interleaving's been removed these errors will be uncorrected and need to be retransmitted. In theory that's far from ideal. Whether related to the upload problem or not, your line is erroring far too much in my opinion.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Razer
Grafter

Hi Bob, thanks for your response.
So why could it be erroring so much so suddenly?