cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube Video Speed History

Be3G
Grafter

YouTube Video Speed History

I did a quick Google search of the forum for this and nothing showed up, so I thought I'd point people to this, which I've only just spotted on YouTube:
Video Speed History
It appears that what it does is logs the speeds at which videos you watch stream, then compares those to values for Plusnet, Great Britain, and so forth. There's also a test video on that page which shows your real-time streaming speed as you watch it, which could perhaps come in handy for diagnosing speed problems when using YouTube.
6 REPLIES 6
Mand
Grafter

Re: YouTube Video Speed History

Very interesting. Will test that out when I get home.
Bookworms
Grafter

Anyone know if this link is still active?
Whenever I look at it says "Video Speed Comparison "20 April 2010 to 02 May 2010" - seems to have stopped on May 2 ?
I cleared my cookies but it hasn't updated.
It just displays a "We did not find any video playbacks from your location" message.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Same for me, I suspect they may aggregate data in specific time periods rather than a rolling one. So the next set of results won't be visible until the time period has expired.
But that's just a guess Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Bookworms
Grafter

It has now updated, and is showing results for '01 May 2010 to 30 May 2010'.
Plusnet doesn't come out too well against the UK averages.  Undecided
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

If you right click any flash video (doesn't work for those who use youtube in html5) you can view your streaming info for any video, real time speed, frame rate etc!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If you read the graph "properly".... you will note that the variation on PlusNet trace for the month, is not great.... yet check out the traces above, and you get violent changes in the shape of the trace....
(well, at least, that is how it is for my graph.....!)
For "the others".... the speed varies between 3 and 5 mb    for Plusnet it varies between 2.5 and 3.....
Also noted that it seems to be generally very slow for "the others" at the weekend.... whereas Plusnet shows a slight increase in speed for Friday  and then only a small "drop off" at the weekend. (sat  & sun)....