Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're not doing me proud...

ClaireS
Dabbler

Re: You're not doing me proud...

Hi Anoush

Our Firmware version is currently 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.

As this is the only firmware version I've had on this Router, I'm not sure that downgrading to a previous version will solve the problem.  Unless you know for sure you did not have the Kindle problems until these later versions?  I only started having the problems once we were sent this new router - our old one used to work fine with the Kindle, but of course the speed was rubbish which was why you sent the new one.

I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to a version that's still in testing, unless it has specifically been designed to resolve the problem with connectivity to a Kindle.  

At the moment, it's stable, I just can't use my Kindle. I guess I can now take out the microfilter from the wall plate, and screw on the main plate again, since we've established that's not the problem?

I have been looking into whether I can use my old Router as a wifi repeater, or AP, but I'm having difficulties connecting it.  I seem to be able to get it up and running, and it points to the new Router Hub, but shows no internet connectivity.  Can you advise me?  I'm figuring that if I get this up and running, I can connect my Kindle through that.  If the Kindle isn't connecting directly to the PlusNet router, it shouldn't keep bringing it down.  Do you have any advice on how to do this?  It's an ASUS RT6NNU.

Thanks

Claire

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Claire.

Both the previous and newest firmware version should work fine with Kindles.

Regarding setting up your 3rd party ASUS router, is it a VDSL(fibre) modem/router?

Let me know if you'd like to leave the firmware as it is, or which one to change to and I'll be happy to arrange it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ClaireS
Dabbler

Hi there

It’s not a modem router, just a router, but it has the option to use it as a wireless repeater or in AP mode.

I’d be happy to try a different firmware version if there is no risk of us losing our connectivity again.

I’d still like to look at the option of using the ASUS as a repeater or AP because the range of the Hub One is not nearly as good as the ASUS, it’s just that the broadband speed of the asus plus the old
Modem was very slow.

What would I need to do to change the firmware?

Thanks again

Regards

Claire
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ClaireS

Thanks for coming back to us.

We'd just need to know whether you were looking to downgrade the firmware or upgrade to the engineering build that Anoush has suggested.

If you reply here, we'll be able to get this sorted for you.

@Gandalf @bobpullen - FYI.

Best wishes

Dave

ClaireS
Dabbler

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to get my old router set up as an AP last night, and have connected my Kindle to that. So I’m thinking - while I have a setup that works I think I’ll just leave well alone and not start meddling with firmware.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. You’ve all been really helpful - I’ll have to change the thread heading now 😁

I don’t think I realised that the forum was the place to get help from Plusnet - I figured it was just customers helping customers. It might be worth publicising this on your website, as the support options on there are very frustrating.

Thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cool. No worries, we'll hold off on the firmware update @bobpullen

Thanks for the feedback and kind words I'll pass it on.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to let us know. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet